Paint Repair

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:29 pm
I wrecked my 1998 Dodge Pickup last year. I had to replace the hood and Driverside fender. The rest of the truck isnt too bad of a finish but the clear has some surface scratches from the farmer that owned the vehicle previous to me. What I want to know, is if I can wet sand the entire truck, shoot base coat on the new body parts, and re-clear the entire truck, without having to totally repaint the entire truck. I hope you can help. The last time I was serious about painting, the best product was acrylic urethane. Im totally new to the base coat clear coat system.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:53 pm
I don't want to say that you can't do it, but it is not recomended. I've seen countless car dealers do it and they look real good for a while but they are just selling them anyway. I would paint your hood and fender. Blend the Drivers side door and the pass side fender and just clear that. Then try buffing the rest of the truck.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:41 pm
Hey HP........I have a question about this.

I have a similiar dilemna w/ the fuel tank (bc/cc) on my bike which has a two tone scheme, decals beneath CC. (I have a very small crease/dent where a lil bit of CC/BC got ground up on the road.)

I was really trying to avoid having the entire tank redone due to the two tone scheme AND decals beneath the CC on the rest of the tank.

Isnt it possible to tape off the undamaged color, prep/repair the damaged area, prime/seal it, reshoot that color with BC...............then scuff (600) the remainder of the tank, shoot it with adhesion promoter.........then CC the entire tank???

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail