67 Mustang mod/restore ongoing...

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:04 pm
Hi all,

I thought I would start my mustang project here, I did a little intro in general discussion but because this will be a on going project it will be up dated frequently hopefully once a week or more since I can usually work on it every week end and during the week depending on how tired I feel after a 10 hour work day.

First I will post pics on how I got the car and some pics on the changes done leading up to today. I won't dwell too much on the mechanical side as this is a body and paint forum. And if I can get the hang of posting pics as it wants to post them above my text.

Its a std 1967 Coupe with an inline 6 and 8'' rear end and a 3 speed top loader (which I still have laying around) I converted it to all V8 suspension and drive train, it has a C4 with stage 2 shift kit, worked 302W, 9'' rear end open 3.25 ratio (got a 3.50 traction lock going in soon as body is done) 620 coils up front with Grenada 11''disc brakes. The only originals parts left is the washer fluid bottle and rear leaf springs (going to put in 5 leaf HD springs in later too) I replaced most stuff in the interior with new but have lot more changes to do there. Well enough with the wall of words on with the pics.

Sep07#40.jpg
Right Rear at Sale.jpg
Righr Front at Sale.jpg
Rear at Sale.jpg
Left Front at Sale.jpg

It was pretty tidy, floor was good and sub frame was good. It had only minor rust which I found later when tearing apart....pics later on that. Have to post again.....limit of 5 pics per post :roll:

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:13 pm
well time for more pics, this is on various changes.

30.jpg
Front.jpg
Picture 164.jpg
Left After 1.JPG
Left Before.jpg

next body work stuff

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:30 pm
Looks like you're off to a good start.
I did a 68 coupe about 15 years ago, candy apple red with black interior. Would like to own a 69 Mach 1 someday.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:35 pm
OK I said I would do some body stuff but I must get the engines pics out of the way first.

Firewall.jpg
Before
Picture 037.jpg
After
Picture 019.jpg
Engine going in
battery 009.JPG
Battery set up I am using

Engine was on a stand for a year and a half before going in, it started up on first crank. Engine builder did the bottom end I did the rest. I got the engine as a bare block with pistons, 2 heads and a box of bolts...not the best decision in my life :knockout: but it ran :goodjob:

Thanks 68, I like the Mach 1's myself, they are a true muscle car to me.
Last edited by kiwimustang67 on Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:03 pm
Well it got to the stage after going to some shows and looking at the car it was obvious that the body was over due for a make over. After a lot of lurking here and getting the tools needed I started to attack the body. I started on the rear quarters first since they were the worse. I knew they had some rust in the lips and after hitting the rough railway cross too fast one day I found out how much they had :flatten:
Attachments
027.JPG
this was on the top of the inner fender under the brace
036.JPG
035.JPG

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:22 pm
I cut out all the cancer I could and after a lot of thinking on whether to do the whole inner or patch I decided to patch as it looked like getting to those spot welds behind the top brace would be a complete ****

047.JPG

048.JPG
patch ready to weld in

050.JPG

051.JPG

049.JPG

Remember this hole.....say bye bye

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:45 pm
inner fender continued........

052.JPG

054.JPG

059.JPG

060.JPG

064.JPG

Inner all done for now......but I will be back to cut it all up......stay tuned :talkhand:

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:17 am
Well here is the complete inner done

065.JPG

066.JPG

067.JPG

Well here comes the fun part, after attaching the rear quarter on numerous times and cutting and adjusting and pulling my hair out I finally got it to fit as good as I could get it. After I was happy with the fit I did something that I saw a fellow member do here in this forum. I think it was Rusty428cj who frequent this forum as well as the VMF forum, here is his project http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mod-custom-forum/602792-my-1968-coupe.html

How ever he has better skills then me and ended up doing it better but here is my attempt. I had a 70 mach 1 rear end and it was wider then stock causing my tires to rub on the fenders under load (remember the rail way crossing lol) so I thought I would widen my fender flares for numerous reasons. It saved me changing rims and/or rear end and it would look cool and make the Stang look meaner on the road (I hope), and so with a lump in my thoat I started cutting........

069.JPG

068.JPG

After the outer was done I did the inner using the outer as a guide. Rusty I think did the other way round, fitted the outer the,cut and welded then did inner with quarter on but I did not want the hassle of trying to cut and weld the inner under the fender. This way I could match the inner with the outer and make up any gaps with the lips not meeting by bringing the inner closer to the outer.

Rusty did longer patches then I did, I just felt I was more in control with smaller patches.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:24 am
After the outer it was the inner fender's turn for the chop.

071.JPG

072.JPG

073.JPG

074.JPG

075.JPG

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:33 am
078.JPG

After the inner was done I then refitted the outer back on for final fitting and welding.

079.JPG

080.JPG

081.JPG

082.JPG

Now I have to make a note here, I by no means do this for a living, this is just my take on how I should do it by lurking and researching. I could be wrong or crazy for trying this but what the hell, you only live once :rotfl: and for those that are wondering, yes the the two lips come together real nice and you can not tell from a factory fender under neath,, yeah so...basically a all metal flare, lots of time and labor but cost real cheap to do.
Last edited by kiwimustang67 on Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Next

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects