Motor Home Painting

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:12 pm
I could use some advice from the experts regarding a motorhome paint job I'm doing. I have painted fiberglass before but it was a large sailboat and not nearly as involved as this 38' MH. Here is the status and the product I'm using up to this point.

Sanded and primed the MH with Awlgrip 545 gray primer.
Sanded the primer and used Awlcraft 2000 Metallic paint spraying 4 coats. The next color is a metallic burgundy Awlcraft 2000 paint which will be the secondary color.

My questions are:

1. Is there any advice one can provide on how best to set this up to paint graphics in a simular fashion as to what one would see on larger MH being produced today. I would prefer not to go back to the vinyl stripes that were on the unit before we stripped it and painted it.

2. Awlcraft does make a clear coat, would this be suggested to do after we get the secondary color on the MH?

Thank You

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:11 pm
Really, there isn't anyone on this site with advice?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:49 pm
Well I for one am not familiar with the products you are using so keep that in mind.
Generally an inter-coat clear (a base coat with no pigment) is applied prior to taping for graphics to protect the underlying paint.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:31 pm
So you would suggest spraying clear coat then sand the areas where painting the second color of base coat. Meaning this MH is going to be 2 colors. So I thought we would want to get the scond color down then when done clear oat the entire coach.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:03 pm
First off I'm not an expert! BUT I can give you some insight into the process. You want to shoot an inter-coat clear (NOT a catalyzed top coat high build clear) over where you want to paint you graphics. This will allow you to tape to it and not pull the new paint off with the tape. It will also help with preventing bleed through. Read the Tech sheet on the product and it will explain. Mel :allgood:

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:07 pm
Jchet wrote:So you would suggest spraying clear coat then sand the areas where painting the second color of base coat. Meaning this MH is going to be 2 colors. So I thought we would want to get the scond color down then when done clear oat the entire coach.

907 is correct. They call it inter-coat clear but in essence it is another base coat with no pigment. No sanding required. Shoot your base color with proper flash times, shoot your intercoat clear and let flash per tech sheet, and then tape up your graphics, etc.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic