What primer for bare metal, bondo

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:25 pm
Im in the process of repainting my 1988 mustang gt. when I got the car it looked like someone sprayed clear coat over the original white paint some time ago for some reason and now it is all starting to peal up. I washed the whole car very good with dawn dish soap then dried it then wiped the whole car down with some shop line wax and grease remover. I then started to da the car with 80 grit on the spots where there were dents and when i would blow the car off with air the paint would blow off with the compressed air so i decided i wanted to take the whole car down to bare metal. My question is what kind of primer should i use

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:40 pm
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16694
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:25 pm
Coronet, I've read and re-read that post but it doesn't tell me how to get from paint to bare metal. That is my major question. If it is 60 grit sandpaper and an orbital sander, that works well for the smooth panels, but what do you do on the back where there are seams and supports? I know that paint (as little as it was on my 79 Jeep) still needs to be sanded somehow. What is the methodology for the "rough side of the door, hood, etc."?

BTW, I like the Coronet, reminds me of my 69 GTX! Sold it for $500 in 75, wish I'd just put it in the barn!

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:14 pm
scott530 wrote:Im in the process of repainting my 1988 mustang gt. when I got the car it looked like someone sprayed clear coat over the original white paint some time ago for some reason and now it is all starting to peal up. I washed the whole car very good with dawn dish soap then dried it then wiped the whole car down with some shop line wax and grease remover. I then started to da the car with 80 grit on the spots where there were dents and when i would blow the car off with air the paint would blow off with the compressed air so i decided i wanted to take the whole car down to bare metal. My question is what kind of primer should i use

What kind of primer do I use?? Epoxy primer then urethane high build primer on top of that.

If you have much bodywork I would strip it one panel at a time, work the dents fill, block, then shoot epoxy or etch then follow wet on wet with 3 coats urethane primer. If you are d/a sanding might as well go with 36-40 grit to strip. Hope you gotta good compressor along with patience.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:34 pm
Road Trip wrote:Coronet, I've read and re-read that post but it doesn't tell me how to get from paint to bare metal. That is my major question. . .

Sorry but I didn't see that question anywhere in your original post.
If you can afford it, having the car media blasted by a professional is a great way to get started.
Otherwise since the paint is blowing off the car try using a high pressure washer and see how much you can get off.
Next I would try a heat gun and a razor blade. Soften the paint some with the heat and then scrape it off.
Aircraft Paint Stripper works well for the difficult areas but is messy nasty stuff. You will need to wash the panel with soap and water to neutralize the stripper that may be hiding in seams and such.

Go over the bare metal with 80 grit on a DA and then wipe it down with Wax and Grease Remover. After 30 minutes you can spray two coats of epoxy to seal and protect the panel. I like to coat the panels inside and out with epoxy for rust protection.
You can apply filler over the epoxy as needed, cover the filler areas with epoxy and then shoot your 2k, block sand, etc.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Body and Paint