Paint Mixing Cups

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:34 pm
Can anybody tell me the correct way to mix paint in a mixing cup
i've heard a few different ways of using it, i'm not sure which column is for hardner and reducer
this has to be the most confusing thing i've ever came across which is ridiculous because it is probably really easy to understand
and i was also wondering if you are supposed to add reducer to a clear coat the just calls for hardner?
thanks

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:13 pm
Emp....3:1:1
3parts, clear,primer etc....
1part hardner
1part reducer
Captian OBVIOUS.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:46 pm
alex618 wrote:Can anybody tell me the correct way to mix paint in a mixing cup
i've heard a few different ways of using it, i'm not sure which column is for hardner and reducer
this has to be the most confusing thing i've ever came across which is ridiculous because it is probably really easy to understand
and i was also wondering if you are supposed to add reducer to a clear coat the just calls for hardner?
thanks

After 32 years of painting, its safe to say, I am easily confused. So these cups confuse me. This is why I always use the ounces or ml's measurement on the cups. If I need to mix my paint 4 parts clear urethane to 1 part hardner to 1 part reducer, I will first figure out how much paint I need. Say I'm painting a gas tank and 2 fenders with 2 coats of clear. Say it will take me 10 ounces. Thats pretty close to 300 ml's. I'll fill the cup to 200 ml (4 parts), then add hardner up to 250 ( 1 part), then reducer up to 300 (1 part).
My assistant uses the parts measurement on the cups. I use what's easier for me.

Bottom line, use what works best for you.

As for adding reducer when it doesn't call for it? Then don't use it. It all depends on the brand and kind of paint your are using. Get a tech sheet or P sheet for your product. Most paint companies have downloads on their website with the tech sheets for their products. This is where you can find out if and why you should add reducer.
Crazy Horse Custom Paint
And Author of How to Custom Paint Your Car
http://www.crazyhorsepainting.com/

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:35 pm
thanks both of ya

the oz's/ml's part is it just the lines that are going straight up and not the bars?
you just keep adding 50 up for the 1 parts?( like you said 200 for the 4 parts paint then you add the reducer to the 50 etc)
is it possible to use like a kitchen measuring cup?j/w
thanks

plus i am a visual person so tryin to just see it without seeing it is kinda hard for me...hands on person...

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:59 pm
1st bar is your material (primer/paint/clear)
2nd bar is your activator
3rd bar is your reducer or additive (usually +10% of your final mix)

Also know as Part A + Part B + Part C

Most material will be 1:1, 3:1 or 4:1.

Easy example: 4oz of material at 4:1 ratio ---> 4oz material, 1oz activator.
Find the 4:1 mixing scale on the side of the cup.
Pour to the first line that is in line with the 4oz mark, add activator until filled to the 2nd line. Stir and enjoy. ;)

Here is a bad pic I found on the web that is showing what I'm talking about. Sorry I don't have a better pic at the moment.
Attachments
mixing cup.jpg

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:52 pm
alex618 wrote:thanks both of ya

the oz's/ml's part is it just the lines that are going straight up and not the bars?
you just keep adding 50 up for the 1 parts?( like you said 200 for the 4 parts paint then you add the reducer to the 50 etc)
is it possible to use like a kitchen measuring cup?j/w
thanks

plus i am a visual person so tryin to just see it without seeing it is kinda hard for me...hands on person...

You'll see a single line going up the side of the cup. It will have little lines coming from it, on one side they will be numbered from 1 to 16 or however many ounces the cup is, the other side of the line will have 50, 100, 200, 300, those are the ml's. You should see OZ on one side of the line, and ml on the other side.

Here is a link on the EZ Mix Cups site that tells how to use the cup.
http://www.ezmix.com/instructions.htm
Crazy Horse Custom Paint
And Author of How to Custom Paint Your Car
http://www.crazyhorsepainting.com/

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:54 pm
vwbobby wrote:Here is a bad pic I found on the web that is showing what I'm talking about.

I assume by "bad pic" you mean ...........

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:33 pm
:rotfl:

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:56 am
vwbobby wrote:1st bar is your material (primer/paint/clear)
2nd bar is your activator
3rd bar is your reducer or additive (usually +10% of your final mix)

Also know as Part A + Part B + Part C

Most material will be 1:1, 3:1 or 4:1.

Easy example: 4oz of material at 4:1 ratio ---> 4oz material, 1oz activator.
Find the 4:1 mixing scale on the side of the cup.
Pour to the first line that is in line with the 4oz mark, add activator until filled to the 2nd line. Stir and enjoy. ;)

Here is a bad pic I found on the web that is showing what I'm talking about. Sorry I don't have a better pic at the moment.

alright i understand a bit better now
so lets say its a paint and a reducer 2:1 ratio i would go to the 2:1 ratio column fill to the line of of however much i need
then add the reducer to whatever whatever the line is right next to the column i put paint in
so paint go to what that show the orange part in the pic then the reducer would go to the green part? correct?
or reducer would go to the purple part of the pic?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:42 am
Exactly! You've got it. Reducer in this case would go in the green column. 2 parts material, 1 part reducer, in your case.
Next

Return to Body and Paint