Newbie Here, Buffing and Polishing

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:52 am
Can someone run down a brief outline of the proper compounds and techniques required to remove light to medium scratches for me. I am talking about the kind of damage caused by poor washing and waxing practices I bought a pre-owned vehicle and it looks as though it was washed with a dirty gym sock for the last 6 years nothing to deep but just an all over cloudy looking finish. Thanks for any help and I love that someone has decided to start an autobody forumn this place is great.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:57 pm
Thanks for the kind words, we are trying our best around here.

I would try using a polishing compound first, like race glaze. Then a good quality wax. Wax it by hand. then rewax after a week or so.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:38 pm
Should I use the rubbing compound by hand as well? And I have some Mother's rubbing compund as well as a three coat waxing system (pre-wax cleaner, sealer glaze and a pure carnuba wax is that something I can use or are there better products out there? I'm sorry if these are elementary type questions just wanna have all the info I can before I jump in.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:51 pm
Unless the scratches are real deep I would try your 3 step before I used the rubbing compound. The carnuba wax will get out light scratches on its own.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:11 pm
Alright, I will give it a try and I will take some before and after photos to see what you think of my first real attempt at inproving a cars finish. Thanks again for the advice.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail