How can I estimate for painting?

A place for professionals to network and discuss the business and technology inside the shop.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:38 pm
Hey guys! I'm new to the site and have found it very helpful I've been a painter for about 8 years or so but I've been on salary for those years. now the shop has closed and I found a new job but I don't know if I'm getting paid what I'm supposed to be, so my question is how can I figure out the hours i get for what I paint?

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:13 am
im not real sure I understsnd your question fully, but a simple answer would be to keep your hrs in a journal or diary for each day or job,
I work for myself as a plasterer, or drywall as you guys call it, I write my hrs down for each job and each day, all the materials I use and then add it all up at the end of the job so I get paid accordingly, that's for hrly rate work, for mu contract jobs I do the same sort of thing (altho there is no need to as I get paid wat I quote for the job) so I know if I quoted enough for the job, so I make my hrly rate plus a profit
krem

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:46 am
Paintlife22 wrote:Hey guys! I'm new to the site and have found it very helpful I've been a painter for about 8 years or so but I've been on salary for those years. now the shop has closed and I found a new job but I don't know if I'm getting paid what I'm supposed to be, so my question is how can I figure out the hours i get for what I paint?

What you need to do is see the repair order! If you aren't given a repair order something is very odd. That repair order will have all the times right there.

If you can't get one from them (again, very odd) I don't know what to tell you. I have never worked at a place in my career (40 years) that wouldn't be very transparent about stuff like that. It depends on so many things like overlap and what they are accepting from the insurance companies. Often the insurance company gives some stupid est with crazy numbers and they think they MUST follow it. It's so hard to say what you should be getting, can you give some examples?

Brian
Free lance adviser

"Hitting the pavement at 100 mph really smarts"
Evel Knievel

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:22 pm
Yes I don't get any repair order at all the guys just tells me to write down all the work down and come Fridays he pays me "accordingly" to what I worked which I find weird. I've been asking around and I get the same answer I need a repair order . but I'm not complaining cause my paychecks are coming out very good , I guess this guys doesn't really know what he's doing and pays what ever he thinks is best.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:48 pm
That sounds very odd, he either doesn't know how to right a repair order and get paid for every turn of the wrench, or he is being sly with your hours.

Brian
Free lance adviser

"Hitting the pavement at 100 mph really smarts"
Evel Knievel

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:34 pm
Paintlife22 wrote:Yes I don't get any repair order at all the guys just tells me to write down all the work down and come Fridays he pays me "accordingly" to what I worked which I find weird. I've been asking around and I get the same answer I need a repair order . but I'm not complaining cause my paychecks are coming out very good , I guess this guys doesn't really know what he's doing and pays what ever he thinks is best.

Your getting jacked, time to find another job!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:48 pm
yea you need to ask for the repair order man, it tells you everything. How much are you making a week?

Return to The Pro Shop!