buying new sata 4400 mini touch up guns tip size question

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:02 am
Hello! Short and sweet I want a pair of mini touch up guns so i can run them off of my smaller mobile compressor which runs 6cfm. I have my eye on the sata minijet 4400 hvlp series since they run lower cfm. I will just be doing small touchup blending work with these. I am going to order 2 guns, one for clear and one for basecoat. I am unsure of which tip size to purchase. I was thinking 1.0 for basecoat and the 1.2 for clear. Or maybe just order both in 1.0. If anyone has any suggestions, comments, or working experience with mini guns i would love to know your thoughts! Thank you very much in advance!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:51 am
1.0 and get in the RP version. They atomize better and in my opinion will be better for touch ups. I have a little experience with sata.
Attachments
image.png
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:00 am
PainterDave wrote:1.0 and get in the RP version. They atomize better and in my opinion will be better for touch ups. I have a little experience with sata.

Wow thats a lot of spray guns quiet the collection! I wanted to get the RP but i think the cfm is a little to high for my compressor for the RP version. I think sata states it needs around 7.1? correct me if i'm wrong. Thanks for the quick reply, im going to order something today. As far as HVLP goes still go with both 1.0?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:21 am
https://www.sata.com/index.php?id=4811& ... 3&type=233

You'll find air requirements on page 6.
But you got to keep in mind the CFM requirement at the listed spraying PSI is probably more psi then you will ever spray with. But you really can't go wrong with either gun. The 4400 is awesome all around gun. You'll be happy with either.

Valspar DeBeer LIC

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:27 pm
Thank you very much! the information has been very helpful. I think I am going to go with the hvlp 1.0 satas just because i would rather have guns with specs more than capable of spraying with current compressor rather than guns with specs outside my compressors range. But i get what you are saying i'm sure the compressor could handle the RP but ill just play it safe and get the HVLP.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:26 am
Sweet ! Good luck. You'll be happy either way. Happy painting !

Valspar DeBeer LIC

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:31 am
Hey painterdave quick question for you, is the sata mini jet 4 the same as the mini jet 4400b?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:12 am
I believe so. But have never referred to it as a "4" mini 2000 3000 4400 is the order they was produced to my knowledge. I use a 1.0 and 1.1 on my full size Guns. This gives me room to move tip sizes all the way up to 2.5 on one gun.

I do not use mini Guns much. I have a few but don't pay much attention to them.

Do you have a mini gun yet ? Or still shopping ? Let me know what you're paying before you buy one. And if you ever needing a faster answer to something regarding spray guns you can reach me through email.

Valspar DeBeer LIC

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:51 am
Dave,

I see you have a couple of motorcycle parts in you picture. Are you using full sized guns on the bike parts and other small items? Reason I ask is that I found a full size gun puts a lot of material into the air when spraying small parts. Are you narrowing the fan and turning down the material, or running the wide open and not worried about wasted material? My solution has been going to a mini gun. Wondering what your solution is.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:55 am
yeah Bob use a full size gun on everything i paint. my spray gun tips range from 1.0 to 2.5 and i grab the gun that suits me that day. i do dial the fluid down a bit depending on the size of the project. youll also want to lower air when doing so. i have been a professional custom / production painter for 27 years. are you painting in a garage ? have a booth ? perhaps i can help you get better transfer efficiency. i also only spray with 15-20 psi what are you spraying with ? give me the low down on your set up ill see if i can help

Valspar DeBeer LIC
Next

Return to Tools and Supplies