Orange peel on OEM finish

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:19 pm
Hey all,
I have a quick question. My car's OEM finish has a fair amount of orange peel in it, and I would like to get rid of it (or at least minimize it). Is there anyway to tell if it is in the base/color coat or in the clear? It is a fairly new car (just over a year), and I have no intention of a full repaint.

If I know that I can safely color sand the clear withought taking too much off, I will, but again, I am not certain that it is not in the base coat as well.

Thanks
Chris

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:01 pm
More than likely it does have clear on it (being a new car). Good way to check it is to either find a small inconspicuous area and wipe with rag that has laquer thinner on it and if any color shows up on the rag than it doesn't have clear on it. Or, you can use 1500-2000 grit sandpaper in that small area and sand a little spot and if any signs of color shows up, than you'll have same scenario. It will also let you know (if you do have clear top coat) if you can sand orange-peel away without touching base-coat. Be cautious though, taking off too much clear will cause UV effect on basecoat.
Just my .02 :)

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:43 pm
I know that the finish itself has a clear coat, but I am mainly wondering if there is any way to tell if the orange peel is in the clear only, or if the orange peel is in the color coat and the clear. If it is in the base coat, then I'm outta luck, short of a repaint, but if it is only in the clear I may be able to get it out.

Thanks
Chris

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:56 pm
Oops- lets try again :lol:. More than likely its the clear that orange-peeled. Usually you can get away with spraying base coat without any orange peel problems (its pretty thin) because of it being used for coverage not build. Lets say, somebody happen to get orange peel in their base coat, the clear (being thicker) would cover it in one coat without a problem not includind the addition coats of clear afterwards.
Just my .02 :) .

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:02 am
Thanks, maybe I'll try wet sanding a small area and see what comes of it.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail