37 Ford Slantback Custom Paint Fix

Discuss custom painting, artwork and airbrushing

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:53 pm
37 Ford Tudor Slantback1.jpg
Just aquired this 37' and I'm looking for ideas and techniques to update it's Sub-lime green w/purple flake flames custom paint job. My first inclination is to leave the top half down to the waist-line Sublime green due to the fact that the engine bay is green & the interior window frames are green. From the waist-line down, doors & fenders, a deep midnight blue. Both the green and blue would match the brown leather interior and the two-tone would give the illusion of a lower stance. That's what I think. Open to any suggestions.
37 Ford Tudor Slantback4.jpg
37 Ford Hood flames.jpg
37 Ford Hood flames.jpg (9.07 KiB) Viewed 11233 times

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:30 pm
So you aren’t digging the flames?

What is the condition of the existing paint? Any chipping, peeling, cracks, rust? Any bodywork problems showing though?

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:08 pm
I haven't had it long enough to know whether or not I'm diggin' it. I took an interest in learning how to airbrush realistic flames a few years ago.
FlamingGolfBallFaceInSpace.jpg
. At the time, I didn't really care for "stylistic " flames. The paint is quality. The combo is a little "out there". I don't rule out that I'll get to like it. I think it might look more stylish with a two-tone, not to mention the allusion of a chop without having one. Two-tone less expensive than a complete color change. I think I can do it in my garage.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:20 pm
I am not very artistic at all so I'll offer an opinion on a approach to use. Just dump the flames and leave the car a solid color, after some time the perfect graphics will appear in your mind and you can add them then.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:57 pm
I don't think I'm wanting to add graphics. I'm more in need of suggestions on a lower half color that will compliment the green and work well with a light brown interior. I'm stuck with the green, for the forseeable future. The interior window frames are green and the engine bay is green also. My thoughts for the lower color is a midnight blue or deep dark green/almost black. A grey would also go with green, but I haven't seen that color grey on the streets.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:21 am
Whatever you do, looks like it will have to include the whole hood. Matching the existing green is going to be extremely difficult if it’s a custom color. You said metal flake right? That’s **** near impossible unless you have a jar of flake from the first shoot. And still that will require the moon to be in the same phase to match. So how will you tie a blue hood into the rest of the car?

If the existing paint and body work is in good condition I only see a few options here… add another color(s) of flames, live with what you have, or a complete repaint.

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:53 pm
I think the green is a factory color. The documentation arrives tomorrow and I hope the color code(s) are included. The purple is definately a custom flake job. I agree the hood will have to go green. On other projects, I've gone to English Color and they've brought a hand held color diaognostic tool out and have taken a reading to get as close as possible to the existing color. I'm crossing my fingers that it's some mopar factory green with no custom additions. But, I'm ready for anything, honestly.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:34 am
If you can match the green then blue would be a good combo with it. But you would have to find the right blue to go with the green as it's a pretty strong color. Maybe add a little blue to the interior as well to tie it all together.

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:34 pm
Existing Paint is showing it's age. Not bad though. A few cracks, some blemishes. No rust bubbles but a few "boo boo" cover up graphics. Looks like the painter was having a little difficulty with the green metallic/pearl. And the prep under the purple might have been a little lacking. The purple should be replaced, for sure. The blue that I have in mind is deep dark Mercedes-type with a good amount of metallic.

Return to Airbrushed Art & Custom Painting Discussion