Help! Wet sanding single stage

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:29 pm
Hey everybody! I have a quick question I am hoping someone can help with. My truck was recently repainted with a single stage metallic paint and has lint and sand grains here and there. The tailgate is the worst. I am wondering if I can go ahead and wet sand this junk out with 2000gt then 3000gt and buff and polish with 3M product like I do on bc/cc jobs. I read a lot of mixed feed back on wet sanding the metallic single stage. Some say don't do it as it will distort it and others say there will be no issues. I'm hoping there wont be any issues with doing it and my truck isn't stuck like this.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:32 pm
Well, no, not really, you can't sand like that. A minor denib is one thing but an overall sanding like this is going to "cut" your metallic leaving it blotchy/splotchy. Second big problem with doing this is killing the UV protection which actually floats to the top of single stage paint. Since single stages are a "one shot" deal you don't have that separate clear with a UV filter in it as seen in base/clear. The filter is built-in to the single stage and floats up for protection as the paint dries.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:15 am
DarrelK wrote:Well, no, not really, you can't sand like that. A minor denib is one thing but an overall sanding like this is going to "cut" your metallic leaving it blotchy/splotchy. Second big problem with doing this is killing the UV protection which actually floats to the top of single stage paint. Since single stages are a "one shot" deal you don't have that separate clear with a UV filter in it as seen in base/clear. The filter is built-in to the single stage and floats up for protection as the paint dries.

Hmmm. The tailgate bugs me the most as its pretty peppered with sand. If it comes down to it can I just knock down the imperfections and re shoot it?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:36 pm
Yeah, that is what I would do.... the tailgate is a unit by itself so I wouldn't think you would be blending here. Just remember....if you shoot it with a different gun set-up than the previous shoot your metallic could "lay" a little different. Might want to try a spray out sample first just to see if your look is indeed close enough and/or the same.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:24 am
Next time, just clearcoat it afterwards.
Then you can always sand and buff if you want.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail