Need advice on cheap gun

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:34 pm
I already know the general rule "don't"

However, I'm only going to use it once every couple years at most to spray my own car.

Bought my car after some body work, and I'm completely sick of the primer spots, so I've decided I'm going to have to just strip it down and respray it won't have to worry with color matching or blending.

Now to the hard part I have an extremely tight budget for the project and I have narrowed my gun selection down to two candidates as follows
(it should be noted that I did consider the devilbiss starting line, but almost everyone says there garbage)

So the first gun

SPRAYIT SP-33500K LVLP Gravity Feed Spray Gun Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C4S99L2/re ... xzbP2S2QKQ

This one I'm very interested in i like the lvlp only have a 30gal compressor, I like that it has all the tips and needles, and the mini gun Is a nice bonus

while it may rub some people the wrong way I like that this is a iwata w400 copy even enough that you can put w400 parts in it

That being said I don't expect it to be a w400, but if it's good enough to spray a car or two a year at most then I think it would be fine

And this is the other one

Astro EVOT14 EuroPro Forged LVLP Spray Gun with 1.4mm Nozzle and Plastic Cup https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HZBX0VI/re ... xzbFNJDNK9

I've read a lot of people love this gun, some people say it's a good satajet copy, my concern with it is while it claims lvlp it wants 11-13 cfm which to me isn't really lvlp and I doubt my compressor will keep up if it truly pulls 12 cfm, also no extra tips or needles that I can tell and no obvious way to buy parts

I would like one to last as long as it can, but with my budget, this is about all I can afford, and hoping someone here can help me choose the least crap option

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:21 am
LVLP means low volume low pressure in relation to the gun spraying the paint not the air compressor supplying air. The gun uses a lower volume of paint that is sprayed at a lower pressure. This is meant to increase transfer rate of paint from the gun to the car and decrease the amount of paint lost as over spray.

Remember two things:
1. Cheap guns are less money because of the lower quality materials used and the lower machining tolerances maintained during manufacturing.
2. No spray gun will perform properly without an air compressor that puts out the required volume of air (CFM) at the stated pressure (PSI). Both must be satisfied.

Check your compressor's output first and then buy a gun that will run on that.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:45 pm
I thank you for your reply.

However, you haven't really told me anything that i don't very much know already for the most part.

Regarding LVLP i just don't see why a "Low Volume" gun should consume 13 CFM, which is equal or more than some of the HVLP "High Volume" guns. If you are spraying less volume of material then less air volume should be required to get good transfer. this is at least my logical understanding of how it should work.

With that said, i really just need to find out which of the two guns i have listed are known to work better than the other, or if there is another gun within $100 budget that will perform well enough for a DIY project once a year. And have better results than a Harbor Freight or old campbell hausfeld siphon feed hvlp gun i have laying around, because those are really my only options. at the moment. My compressor will put out about 8 CFM the sprayit 3300K claims to only need 4 CFM

The way i see it, rather than taking the car to maaco every year, i can just spray it myself every year or so for less money than i would pay for a maaco job, with likely better results, i'm quite sure whats on it right now is a maaco job because they just sprayed everything trim pieces and all.

So if anyone has any experiance with these two guns or another gun in that price range please let me know how they perform.

Thanks

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:11 pm
I did this same hunt a few months back for a primer gun. I went with an Airgunsa AZ3HT2. My compressor is larger but the gun sprays more like my LPH400 than the old HF gun. I'd have no problem using it as a base/clear gun with the proper nozzle size. The difference to the HF gun is night and day. It requires about 7 cfm. Make sure you are looking at the "HTE" line as the others require more air.

http://anestiwata.com/wp-content/upload ... saSpec.pdf

Mine is a 1.8 but there are 1.3 and 1.5 (and others) here's the 1.5

http://www.tooltopia.com/anest-iwata-9231.aspx

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:36 pm
Hi,

Thanks for the info, Yes i would love to get a airgunsa 1.3 i have had an internal debate about it at length. (months)

But from what i can tell it wants 12 cfm which i can't supply to it, which is why i was looking at the cheapo spray-it kit since it only required 4 cfm i felt at least it would not be starved for air like a more "hungry" gun would be, and i would think a air starved good gun would probably produce worse results than a cheap gun with enough air

Since i can barely afford a gun, supply's and material, a compressor is certainly out of the question.

I should also add that, eventually i will likely upgrade, i am however just trying to get something that will get me by for a year or so.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:05 pm
ArchNemesis wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the info, Yes i would love to get a airgunsa 1.3 i have had an internal debate about it at length. (months)

But from what i can tell it wants 12 cfm which i can't supply to it

I did however, find this one which i could probably afford.

However, i'm worried about the CFM requirements being so close, would i run into problems with a compressor that can only make 8 cfm rated (probably best case)

https://megadepot.com/product/anest-iwa ... opping_ads

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:15 pm
The second one is the one. The specs are 7 cfm at 29 psi. If you can't do 7@29 you may not to be able to use any gravity gun. You may be better off going to a conventional at that point.
Eastwood also has a 4 cfm@ 29 psi but it's about $150. If I had to choose between an off brand and the Eastwood I'd go with the Eastwood as at least it's a consistent, known vendor.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:46 am
The Astro is a rebranded Star. Made in Taiwan they are industrial quality. I have (I think) 8 of them in various models, some 15 years old and still going strong. Not the finest atomisation and only the top of the range have fans up around 300mm, but very dependable guns. Most get used regularly and the V3 S4000 is the best 2K (single stage) gun I've ever owned. The LVLP guns actually need more air than the compliant guns.

Iwata AZ3HTE2. Have 2 of these in 1.3mm setup, one about 6-7 years old and gets used every day for base coat. The other is a dedicated clear coat gun and will duplicate Japanese style factory clear finish beautifully. I use it often on Japanese or Korean vehicles.

They are not air hogs and the stated 7cfm would be about right. Solid, dependable, reliable guns made to Anest Iwata standards. Must be carefully and thoroughly cleaned to perform at their best, i.e. not tolerant of any buildup on air or fluid caps. Not the widest fans, but I've painted plenty of bonnets and turrets with no issues.

Spray Guns Direct have the best deals that I've seen:
https://www.spraygunsdirect.co.uk/index.php/sprayguns-parts/gravity-sprayguns/iwata-az3-hte2-water-solvent-spraygun-works-like-it-s-twice-the-price-bargain-all-rounder.html

Cheaper without the air control, but worth paying more to get one.

In the same price range as the AZ3HTE2 is the Devilbiss FLG5. Similar in the sense of being a quality gun being sold at a reduced price it is a gun that's more deserved of a $300 price tag. Nice wide fan and brilliant if you want a full, wet clear coat with minimal peel. Better for European and Australian style finishes.

A bit smaller and lighter than the Iwata, so comfortable for bigger jobs. As good as my Tekna? No, but didn't cost four times as much either.
https://www.spraygunsdirect.co.uk/index.php/sprayguns-parts/gravity-sprayguns/devilbiss-flg5-compliant-solvent-spraygun-best-seller.html

With guns like these at around the $100USD mark it really isn't worth buying cheap guns that will let you down. These are professional quality, brand names, with available parts if you need them. I've bought cheap guns in the past and not one of them has made it beyond 6 months.

Probably the best match to your compressor is the Iwata, but even it will be at the limit.
Chris

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:48 pm
While you are at sprayginsdirect check out the A.N.I. R150. It's close to your budget and many people say it's the best cheapest gun. I don't own one but am considering it.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:48 pm
can the A.N.I. R150. handle a truck hood? and base and clear coat?

Return to Tools and Supplies