Leaking SATAJet 2000 RP without trigger

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:53 pm
Hey all -

So, I've got a "new to me" Satajet 2000 RP, and I've been having some air leaking issues with it since I got it. It leaks air through the air cap without the trigger being pulled, so naturally, I thought it was the air piston/rod. I ordered and then replaced the air cap and trigger piston/seal, but I'm still getting air leaking out the cap. I know it's got to be the piston/valve assembly, because it's happening without the trigger being pulled.

Any suggestions on how I can solve this? I feel like I've thoroughly cleaned out that passageway, but it's still an issue. Any advice would be appreciated.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:35 am
did you put a whole rebuild kit in there ?
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:02 am
I put in the air piston service kit, which consists of the trigger rod, metal/plastic trigger seal (which the rod goes through), the plastic piston cup, and the spring that the piston cup seal connects to.

I didn't see the point in installing a complete gun rebuild kit as I can literally hear the air leaking past the plastic piston cup seal inside the handle of the gun. It's my understanding that the path that the air takes is in through the handle, then up through the micrometer "hole", and then the air should stop, butting up against the piston cup seal.

Are there more seals involved in keeping the gun completely air tight when the trigger is not depressed? When hooked up to air, I can hear a very faint "hisssss" coming from the holes in the cap (not the nozzle itself), and can feel very light air coming out of them. The only other thing I can think of is that perhaps the metal part of the body of the gun where the cup seal sits up against may be too worn to hold a seal, but that would greatly surprise me considering all the parts that "wear" should be plastic, and have been replaced. I used a q-tip and thinner/gun cleaner to completely clean out the internals of that whole micrometer/trigger passage way, and while it got a little bit of old stuff out of there, it was pretty clean to begin with.

Do these seals need to "break-in" so to speak? That would surprise me given the nature of the tool. I REALLY want to use this gun for my clear, but I don't want to continue investing money in a spray gun that won't seal up properly under air. My worry is that it's the body itself that may be worn out, which no amount of seals would likely fix.

Suggestions? Opinions? I've bought a few used HVLP guns over the years, and even if they've had issues, I've never had problems getting them going 100% again until this gun. Now, after spending a good amount on the piston kit, I need to decide if the gun is worth more time and money. The easiest solution is, of course, to unload the gun, and start anew - it's just not the desired solution if there's other options available.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:32 pm
i own 24 SATA jets and my only SATA 2000 leaks are also lol... i have not been able to fix it. let me call my friends at SATA, theyre close friends of mine see if i can get you some help or even another rebuild kit.

Valspar DeBeer LIC

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:07 pm
im being told you need part number 240 the air piston cone goes on the end of the spring, did you replace that ? here is a PDF

http://www.finishmaster.com/prod/assets ... tj4hbc.pdf

3 pack is 133991

https://www.sata.com/fileadmin/sata/PDF ... VLP_en.pdf

Valspar DeBeer LIC

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:11 pm
Yep. That was included in the piston/air valve rebuild kit. From my research, in almost any gun, when you hear that trigger leaking without being pressed, that's the part people seem to target for replacement.

To be safe, I replaced the following part #'s from that diagram: 27813, 240, 86843, and 82636. I was 100% convinced that part # 240 was going to fix the issue, but I still have the leak.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:12 pm
ok buddy let me make another phone call

Valspar DeBeer LIC

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:16 pm
ok buddy SATA is coming to my shop tomorrow and fix my 2000 so we will see what fixes it then ill pass it along. sound good ?

never had a issue with any other SATA so never really tried fixing this one.

Valspar DeBeer LIC

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:18 pm
Awesome! I really appreciate it! :drink:

When it comes to pneumatic tools, I usually do OK with diagnosing and fixing my own stuff, but this has be stumped. The only thing I can think of is maybe the previous owner somehow damaged the surface that the piston seal sits up against, but in giving a visual look, the passageway looks pretty much perfect. That being said, all it would take is the smallest knick or imperfection on that sealing surface to create a leak.

I'll hold tight to see how yours turns out, and I'll make a decision after that. Thanks again for helping diagnose this. It may be a pain, but I think in the end it'll help a good amount of people. You'd be amazed at how little information is out there despite the popularity of the gun. :/

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:23 pm
well yes it could be a old gun too, lets see what they say tomorrow.

Valspar DeBeer LIC
Next

Return to Tools and Supplies