Repainting truck primer questions

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:52 pm
Okay so I plan on repainting my crew cab long bed truck and I'm working on the bed right now it has some dings and dents that I'm going to fix. My question is that I'm going to body fill some of the smaller dents and once I sand them down and their smooth and I get to some spots that get to bare metal bigger than the size of a quarter should I spray an epoxy primer over the whole bed over the body filler and everything then do 2k hi build and sand. Or should I use a self etching and then 2k hi build.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:34 pm
If the majority of the bed is going to be down to bare metal then epoxy would be a good choice, as truck beds see a lot of abuse -- and if the bed is off the truck it gives you the opportunity to shoot the underside which is good.

If the bed is on the truck and you are priming over mostly existing paint then you can still use epoxy but it's overkill. I know I sound like a broken record but the Tamco HP-5310 is excellent, direct to metal and has build so you can sand it easily and get your panels nice and straight...one product.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:41 pm
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes the bed is off the truck and I'm going to be spraying the underside of the bed with a undercoat type deal. And that's another question. Is it worth it to sand the entire thing or most of it down to bare metal or just scuff it all with like 180 and the spots that get to bare metal leave em and spray it with an epoxy or what yoh recommended. I'm going to be doing alot of the body work on the bed and doors and fenders myself and taking it somewhere for them to final paint it as I want it to be a pretty good paint job and I'm not up to par with my painting yet to do it all myself in the garage

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:43 am
My four reasons to take down to bare metal:

- paint is failing - excessive chipping, peeling, turning chalky, etc.
- too much prior refinishing, i.e. paint there now is too thick.
- older questionable finish, like lacquer or a cheap enamel.
- we are doing a museum quality restoration.

If what is there is sound and is the OEM finish, no need to strip it.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:02 pm
Yes what's on it is oem paint and there's some chips and dings and dents like I said but I'm going to be dollying them out and body filling them. There's no rust at all on the bed. So what your saying is scuff it and spray with an epoxy primer since there will be some spots that are down to bare metal. Also should I just scuff with 180 or more course?

Return to Body and Paint