Nason Single Stage Gloss Question

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:32 am
Why not at least "try" a cut and buff on it? Cheap, fast, works to your liking or it doesn't. You'll know if you have to move on to one of the other options....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:57 am
^^^^ as Darrel said try a section and see how it goes. you should really try and stay with the same product line.. i'm not saying it won't work but it could cause problems, mainly in the flash and dry times and ability to not get the o/p.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:13 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:
PainterDave wrote:that whole "flow coat" thing everyone does by over reducing... yeah dont do it.

sand in 800 and mix paint normally then shoot it, the paint will lay down smooth.

over reducing makes paint look smooth any shiny when its wet but after all that extra reducer leaves youre left with a died back ugly mess

Dave, I do this regularly and don't have any problems with it. Do you think the quality of the clear being used could be part of his problem?

My process is to shoot the first couple coats of clear unreduced and allow proper flash time and then shoot a reduced coat over them.

if something is working for you im not anyone to tell you to change it, but when re clearing over 800 the surface is already "slick" and clear flows much better naturally over 800 than it does over basecoat, if you are clearing over wet clear i dont think thats the same as over reducing the whole re clear job if that makes sense. over reducing takes away all your solids and UV when that reducer leaves the clear. have you tried not over reducing ?
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:14 pm
I don't over reduce so maybe I misunderstood the previous post.

If a Clear coat says mix 4:1 and may be reduced 4:1:1. I shoot the first 2-3 coats with no reducer at all and then on the final coat add the prescribed amount of very slow reducer.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:39 pm
ah understood buddy, thought you was over reducing :)
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal
Previous

Return to Body and Paint