Candies for a Rookie

Discuss custom painting, artwork and airbrushing

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:39 pm
Yep. You should be fine, especially with lower temps.

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:16 pm
Ok, so Christmas has come and gone, the Raiders weren't in the Super Bowl and the A's just started their season with a win.

Our local temps this week jumped up to the high 70s, and I have prepped my practice panels with some DTM primer from Tamco (stuff was THICK), blocked with 220, then 400.

I have some black HOK KDA3000 that I will reduce down to shoot as a sealer then hit with a couple coats of BC.

I plan to spray one coat of clear over the BC, then start shooting flake mixed into the clear, then try to bury the flake with more clear. Then probably wait another week per BeoBops post to start applying candies.

A couple of questions;
I have two different clears from UreKrem (sorry no HOK, I’m just practicing), their 410 MS, and their 210 HS. I don’t know the actual solids percentage of either one as the data sheets don’t list them. – Would either one be preferred over the other for applying the flake?

The data sheets list flash times of 10-15 minutes, is longer 30 minutes or so better or is that too long?

I also have the same question of flash times if I was using intercoat products?

I guess my last time when painting my motorcycle gas tank with different graphic masking and I got some BC wrinkling that I had to deal with has me questioning the times between coats.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:08 pm
i would basecoat then 2-3 coats of the MS let dry a few days and prep 800 then use the ms to spray the flake. waiting till tacky for another coat. NOT stringy but TACKY.

follow by a few light coats of ms clear let dry good for few or more days. cut 800 reclear using MS
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:19 pm
PainterDave wrote:i would basecoat then 2-3 coats of the MS let dry a few days and prep 800 then use the ms to spray the flake. waiting till tacky for another coat. NOT stringy but TACKY.

follow by a few light coats of ms clear let dry good for few or more days. cut 800 reclear using MS

PD, thanks for the reply, so no flake this weekend huh?

Is that to keep the layers of solvent down?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:39 am
just the way ive always done it.

im doing a flame and kandy job right now on a bike.

my steps was/is...

base silver / clear coat / cut 800 / HoK root beer mixed in Air dry clear ( very low solids ) /
5 coats kandy / 2 coats clear / cut 800 / tape flames / DBC500 w/ HoK apricot flake /
unmask / MS clear 3 to 4 coats / cut 500/800 / pinstripe / MS clear / cut 500/800 / MS clear / pray that was the last step / done

the reason i base silver then cleared is because it was a raw tank that needed paint all around so i had it hanging. i will not kandy a hanging tank

Valspar DeBeer LIC

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:07 pm
Saturday, I started with the black sealer, then waited, shot two panels in black BC, one in metallic gold BC and the last two in metallic silver BC.

The Gold looked a little uneven but the silver went on very even. Not sure what I did wrong with the gold???

I was originally going to just clear over it per Painter Dave’s suggestion, but curiosity got the best of me. I decided to try the (0.006) gold flake on the gold panel. When I went in for the second coat, I decided to also try it on one of the black panels. I ran out of the clear mixed with the gold flake, so I didn’t get that much coverage on the black based panel, but that is ok as I plan on adding more flake later anyway.

After that I just cleared all of the panels.

Got a little trash in my clear, I think that I need to clean my pig barn better next time!

Waited until today, then blocked the panels with 400, then DA’d it with 600. The panels flattened out easily with the 400 and I probably could have started with the 600.

I still need to learn to lay the BC/CC down better with less OP, I just not sure what adjustments to make when. I wanted to add some reducer to the clear before shooting it, but decided not to as the idea was to bury the flake.

So, now I have to wait before my next round.
Attachments
Flake 3 .jpg

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:48 pm
looks good so far

Valspar DeBeer LIC

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:40 pm
Yesterday after re-sanding my panels with 600/800 wet, then noticing that it was almost 70 degrees without a cloud insight, I decided to add some more flake.

I wanted to tape off the middle to try different colored flakes on different backgrounds. And what a difference that makes! Since I wouldn’t be clearing for a while I decided to try the flake mixed in IC (inter coat) which I had bought for the use of adding candies later.

One thing that I learned, it takes more flake than what I had thought! My first pass of the orange flake barely laid any down!! Each time that I went back, I would add more flake into the IC, then add more flake, then add more flake!!

For both panels, I used 0.015 Orange flake first then the other end I used 0.015 Copper flake, all mixed in IC. One of the base panels was black, the other was metallic gold with some 0.006 gold flake sprayed in the clear (definitely not enough flake in the mix on that one from last week).

Currently on each side I have three coats of IC with flake covered with three coats of clear (slightly reduced) all over the original BC/CC.

* I would like to put on a little more clear, can I just scuff it with some grey scotch pad or should I use 800 wet?

I don’t need to smooth it out that much, but I would like to add some more clear, then flatten the panels out prior to trying out some candies.

Flake II - gold.jpg

Flake II.jpg
Last edited by OldFatBald on Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:46 pm
And I have another question while I have your attention.

I am not using big name brand materials as I am just a weekend rookie hack that still sands off more than I keep.

The photo below is some clear left over in a mixing cup from the week before. It sure seemed to shrink a LOT.

Is this normal? I don’t mind for my current little practice projects, but should I use something else for projects that I have planned?

Clear Shrink2.jpg

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:01 pm
that flake will probably shred a scotch brite.

lightly with some 800 may be better.

yes your clear shrinking is normal.

primers and everything else do it too.

Valspar DeBeer LIC
PreviousNext

Return to Airbrushed Art & Custom Painting Discussion