Pin stripes removel

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:55 pm
I have a 2013 challenger that I just bought and it has stripes with scroll work like in the seventies that I cant stand. They are on top of the clear coat and I started removing them with Lacquer thinner and they are painstakingly very very slowly coming off but I mean hours and hours. Is there a different way to get these removed? I heard Acetone may work but is it safe for clear coats? I don't want to wet sand them off. Please help!!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:32 pm
a lot of variables here but, have buffed them off but they can be a pain. run it by a good detail shop and see what they say.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:18 am
badsix wrote:a lot of variables here but, have buffed them off but they can be a pain. run it by a good detail shop and see what they say.
Jay D.

Thanks I may do that!! I don't think it is the brand 1 shot because everyone says that usaly comes right off and the thinner works kinda but I don't know if its wearing off or actually breaking it down. Some areas come off easier but it's a tough one.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:28 am
a lot of people will put catalyst in the One Shot, that make it a little harder to remove with the lacquer thinner. if you do the buffing thing try a small spot first and see if you can see were the stripe was, it may leave a ghost line where the stripe was removed. I've had several problems like this when trying to sand them off . oh and BE CARFULL WITH THE BUFFER
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:44 pm
i use this stuff on a wool or foam pad.
http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/R ... gK9WPD_BwE

this is pretty aggressive stuff, you will need some polishing compound and swirl remover afterwards.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:16 pm
badsix wrote:a lot of people will put catalyst in the One Shot, that make it a little harder to remove with the lacquer thinner. if you do the buffing thing try a small spot first and see if you can see were the stripe was, it may leave a ghost line where the stripe was removed. I've had several problems like this when trying to sand them off . oh and BE CARFULL WITH THE BUFFER
Jay D.

Thanks!!! I did go to a detail shop and he said he was also looking for a way to remove painted on stripes. He got a hold of a guy he uses that does the pinstripes and he said he uses compound and keeps it wet with lacquer thinner and to try that. I'm going to painters tape around the stripe and give it a try at least if it breaks it down then I'll just do the lacquer thinner once I get close to the clear. I'll update on it once I know,thanks again!!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:22 pm
PainterDave wrote:i use this stuff on a wool or foam pad.
http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/R ... gK9WPD_BwE

this is pretty aggressive stuff, you will need some polishing compound and swirl remover afterwards.

I will try this if my next step doesn't work,Thank you!!!!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:49 pm
vortec 1 wrote:
badsix wrote:a lot of people will put catalyst in the One Shot, that make it a little harder to remove with the lacquer thinner. if you do the buffing thing try a small spot first and see if you can see were the stripe was, it may leave a ghost line where the stripe was removed. I've had several problems like this when trying to sand them off . oh and BE CARFULL WITH THE BUFFER
Jay D.

Thanks!!! I did go to a detail shop and he said he was also looking for a way to remove painted on stripes. He got a hold of a guy he uses that does the pinstripes and he said he uses compound and keeps it wet with lacquer thinner and to try that. I'm going to painters tape around the stripe and give it a try at least if it breaks it down then I'll just do the lacquer thinner once I get close to the clear. I'll update on it once I know,thanks again!!

dont use thinner and compound, if that thinner softens the paint a buffer will rip it right off.

that compound will remove it, might just need a damp micro fiber towel
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:49 am
PainterDave wrote:
vortec 1 wrote:
Jay D.

dont use thinner and compound, if that thinner softens the paint a buffer will rip it right off.

that compound will remove it, might just need a damp micro fiber towel

Thanks I'll get the 3M compound!!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:20 am
Well hears what ended up working for me. Trying to go the least aggressive approach, believe it or not ,putting the lacquer thinner on the stripe repeatedly breaking it down and using the corner my thumb nail took it rite off and cutting it down to almost nothing in time with no scratches!! Glad that's over. LOL Thanks everyone for your advise!!!

Return to Body and Paint