Low VOC Solvent vs Waterborne

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Curious what are the opinions of others between the two? From my experience I can say:

> Solvent is easier to spray, less expensive, and has a longer shelf life on a paint bank than waterborne.

If YOU were setting up a paint bank, did very low volume and mostly spot repairs and many outside, which would you choose?

Sidenote: The set-up is in CA and the solventborne is low VOC "compliant". Has anyone heard if these low VOC compliant solvent paints will continue or will they be going away? If a solvent system is chosen, I don't want to have to switch to waterborne in a few years.

If brands matter we are talking about Sherwin-Williams AWX waterborne vs their ATX solvent. THX

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:59 pm
toner life is about 6 months on water,

i would use solvent in a low volume shop
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:31 am
Avanti wrote:If YOU were setting up a paint bank, did very low volume and mostly spot repairs and many outside, which would you choose?

Exactly what we do in my shop, although the outside repairs are now done in a booth. I chose the Dupont Centari solvent system and wouldn't change for the world. It's fast, easy and flexible with low stockholding costs coming from the single range of tinters that can be used with various binders to create a variety of different paints.

I'm not sure that it is still available in North America but a few other paint companies do have similar systems.

Of course, for us, VOC isn't an issue, not being mandated here, but a low VOC basecoat is among the options that I have.

Combine that with RP guns for best transfer efficiency and you have a system that is economical as well.
Chris

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:32 pm
Thanks,

Rep said 2 years shelf life and said a little water could be added to the base if it gets dry. Seemed fishy to say the least. Going with solvent.

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:40 pm
Just so you know low voc solvent systems are in no way shape or form comparable to the old high test solvent systems. Low voc solvent can be ignorant to spray as the solvent evaporates super fast that can lead to other problems. They really need to work on getting the reducers to work like their older high voc reducers. To say that the solvent is the way to go is just not the case,btw Sherwin is the last one I would look at. Axalta mosaic is about the best of its kind but you really should demo all of them before making a choice. Lots of painters have negative things to say about waterborne but if your trained and set up for it it’s a snap

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:52 pm
I appreciate the comments and suggestions.

I am mostly worried about shelf life with the WB as this is a very low volume set-up for a training class on bumper and spot repairs.

Return to Body and Paint