Help with Basecoat/Intercoat drying overnight

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:53 pm
Whenever you're airbrushing or painting with basecoat over basecoat, the basecoat usually bites right into the basecoat.
I've let painting items sit for long periods of time, then went right back to airbrushing or painting on them, with no scuffing and never had a problem.
AP01 does help, but you really didn't need to use it.
The time when you really have to be concerned with scuffing the surface and recoat windows is when you're working with catalyzed paint like urethanes. For example, I'm painting on a helmet that was basecoated 2 months ago. ( I had a car wreck and was unable to work for a while.) I want to spray some clearc urethane on it, so I gave it a coat of basecoat clear (intercoat clear), I'll wait for a half hour then apply the urethane.
Crazy Horse Custom Paint
And Author of How to Custom Paint Your Car
http://www.crazyhorsepainting.com/

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:04 pm
So you are saying not to activate the base coat if you plan to add graphics, etc.?
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:55 pm
JoAnnBortles wrote:Whenever you're airbrushing or painting with basecoat over basecoat, the basecoat usually bites right into the basecoat.
I've let painting items sit for long periods of time, then went right back to airbrushing or painting on them, with no scuffing and never had a problem.
The time when you really have to be concerned with scuffing the surface and recoat windows is when you're working with catalyzed paint like urethanes. For example, I'm painting on a helmet that was basecoated 2 months ago. ( I had a car wreck and was unable to work for a while.) I want to spray some clearc urethane on it, so I gave it a coat of basecoat clear (intercoat clear), I'll wait for a half hour then apply the urethane.

Thanks for the help and suggestions, as a weekender rookie hack that is way too new to this you cannot imagine how much I appreciate the help from your experts!

I don't activate my urethane basecoats, just reduce them to get them RTS (ready to spray), so your saying that I can leave them for a week no problem without clearing?

That is awesome as my time window to work on these little projects of mine are limited and vary.

I keep RTS IC (Intercoat clear) around for diluting colors or mixing pearls etc, so shooting a coat of IC prior to a clear coat is no problem.

Thanks again!
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:40 am
OldFatBald wrote:
JoAnnBortles wrote:Whenever you're airbrushing or painting with basecoat over basecoat, the basecoat usually bites right into the basecoat.

Thanks for the help and suggestions, as a weekender rookie hack that is way too new to this you cannot imagine how much I appreciate the help from your experts!

I don't activate my urethane basecoats, just reduce them to get them RTS (ready to spray), so your saying that I can leave them for a week no problem without clearing?

That is awesome as my time window to work on these little projects of mine are limited and vary.

I keep RTS IC (Intercoat clear) around for diluting colors or mixing pearls etc, so shooting a coat of IC prior to a clear coat is no problem.

Thanks again!

OldFatBald i do not recommend leaving your basecoat out for a week before clearing,

you risk delamination
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal
Previous

Return to Body and Paint