Banged up bumper while offroading

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:15 pm
Hi all, what a great resource you got here!

I recently made the mistake of taking my truck offroad and ended up banging my rear bumper up pretty good. I initially wanted to get it professionally repaired but got quoted $350+. What should a dent like that usually cost to professionally repair?

How difficult would it be to fix myself? Image attached.
Attachments
Bumper.jpg

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:44 am
I'm embarrassed to admit - I can't tell -- is that bumper plastic or metal?

If plastic, then some quality time with a heat gun and coaxing it back into shape would probably get you 99% there.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:43 am
chris wrote:I'm embarrassed to admit - I can't tell -- is that bumper plastic or metal?

If plastic, then some quality time with a heat gun and coaxing it back into shape would probably get you 99% there.

It is indeed plastic and I do have a heat gun, glad to hear it's that doable. That one reverse sensor however was bent out of place during the impact and needs to be looked at. I'm hoping it won't require removing the bumper.

This is on a 2011 4Runner.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:06 am
Don't know where you are at but hopefully some direct sun would be nice. Try to get it out in full sun for awhile and then go at it with the heat gun. If you can get access from inside/underneath take something like a paint stir stick or a 5 gallon paint stir stick and work it slow from the outer edges. Try to get on it as soon as you can as it will still be very pliable for you. That appears bad at first glance but you might be surprised how it pops back out....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:45 am
I had a similar problem once. Not sure how the pros go about it but here's what I did.

Using a heat gun, being careful not to get to close with it, begin warming the area. Apply pressure with your hand (stir stick sounds like a good idea for more controlled pressure) from the backside starting at the outer edges and work toward the center of the dent. It should pop back into place without damaging the paint.

Hoping someone with experience will chime in and give you more specific instructions.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:12 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:I had a similar problem once. Not sure how the pros go about it but here's what I did.

Using a heat gun, being careful not to get to close with it, begin warming the area. Apply pressure with your hand (stir stick sounds like a good idea for more controlled pressure) from the backside starting at the outer edges and work toward the center of the dent. It should pop back into place without damaging the paint.

Hoping someone with experience will chime in and give you more specific instructions.

DarrelK wrote:Don't know where you are at but hopefully some direct sun would be nice. Try to get it out in full sun for awhile and then go at it with the heat gun. If you can get access from inside/underneath take something like a paint stir stick or a 5 gallon paint stir stick and work it slow from the outer edges. Try to get on it as soon as you can as it will still be very pliable for you. That appears bad at first glance but you might be surprised how it pops back out....

With your encouragement I got this done today. Heat gun worked great. Not pretty but really glad that reverse sensor snapped back into place. Thank you all for your input!
Attachments
Fixed.jpg

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:24 pm
You might try a little bit of rubbing compound on that with a rough textured cloth or terry towel. I'm sure some of it is a strike through to primer however you just never know. You might also consider finding a local "hobby painter" in the neighborhood and have him do a simple blend/fade down there. As low as that is I think it would not be noticeable.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic