The Family plan for bumper repairs.....

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:51 pm
TBird damage 1.jpg
Nasty dig and long scratches....and this was after popping it out
Okay, so we seem to have enough of an extended family there is always someone crashing some bumper or fender into to something. The names of offenders have been avoided here as they would beat me to death with my own cell phone if I mentioned them.....
This little project was done with a large architectural bolder so prudently placed just to be out of rear view camera range and the perfect height to smash the crap out of the lower rear bumper cover......
She was meeting me at a craft show and luckily the sun was shining so I was able to crawl under the car and pop this back to shape, well, maybe 90% back to shape. From there it was a matter of doing what Chris said in our plastic bumper sticky above. Some brand materials I used here was USC Pro-Flex to get my surface level. I did guide coat that with some Evercoat powdered aerosol guide coat. I like that guide coat for spot repairing.....cheap, non clogging second only to the regular 3M powder stuff. I also used some of the Spray Max 2k high build aerosol primer (just been wanting to try/test some of this stuff) with most of that being blocked down/off. I used base from......
http://www.automotivetouchup.com/index.htm I just needed a pint so I was out like $50 for that and already had some Tamco Universal Clear left. Just 2 coats from my 1.4 Astro Evo LVLP and done. And no, no cut and buff needed for factory level of peel. Also, I am old and lazy. I had just gotten some foam aperture tape so I left the bumper on and used the natural curve break line to do a soft edge up under there. I took that all the way around the bumper cover. I did blend the entire cover with new base almost all the way around and did reclear that entire lower bumper half. I think it turned out pretty good....me and my grandson total time about an hour and a half.....
Attachments
TBird damage 5.jpg
Color match was right on.....
TBird damage 4.jpg
Turned out well for a quickie, ha, ha
TBird damage 3.jpg
Blocking down the 2k primer
TBird damage 2.jpg
Initial fill work, Pro-Flex feathers fast
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:16 am
Nice one.

Love the masking. :goodjob:
Chris

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:43 am
old and lazy,huh? wheres the newspaper masking paper then?? :happy:

looks great!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:07 am
Thanks, guys. On the masking....I have people just give me their old car covers especially the heavy duty ones. They are great for quickly covering most of car and then bunching and masking the spot area I am working with. I'm masked back enough that I don't get a built up edge. If I do get some build up eventually I just trim that off. The uhhhhhh.... "family" has been very active lately so I've gotten about 3 years out of that cover.
Really liking that foam tape. I'd always rolled my own with regular masking tape. I think it will even be handy in our wood finish restoration work.
And, yes, I know that I am at least old.....I would have taken that bumper cover off 10 years ago....... :rotfl:
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic