Newbie looking for assistance

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

Australia
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:27 pm
IMG_0109.jpg
IMG_0108.jpg
IMG_0106.jpg
IMG_0109.jpg
Hey guys, ive got a bit of rust developing at the bottom of my driver and passenger doors that i want to get onto before it gets too bad. Im intending to do as much as possible myself to keep costs down but also because this is something new which i wouldnt mind learning. I am planning on doing all the prep work myself and having someone paint it for me that knows what theyre doing.
What i need to know is 1. how much of the car besides the repaired section needs to be painted so that it isnt noticeable alongside the rest of the paint, 2. Is it easy for paint shops to produce a near enough shade of black so that its unnoticeable and 3. How much would it cost.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:54 am
If you want it to be totally unnoticeable you need to blend the color into the adjacent
panel and clear both panels entirely.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:05 am
The door would have to be blended and possibly the adjacent panels for a proper repair and yes a quality shop could make the repair unnoticeable. The concern that I have is that most shops do not like to do a repair that has been prepped by someone else. I would suggest to ask shops around your area to see what they will and won't do.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:28 am
something to consider is how extensive the rust is. im thinking theres probably a wee bit more on the backside of the doorskin. might want to pull the panels off the inside and take a look in there.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:51 am
That's good advice....^^^^^^^^ My grandson's Jeep looked a lot like that on the outside, pulled the interior panel.....rat's next of rust creeping up the door. It was easier and cheaper just to get a take-off door at the pick/pull and paint it.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Body and Paint