Anyone know anything about Yatu Perfecoat basecoat?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:51 pm
One of the local paint distributors is selling the Yatu Perfecoat basecoat and they tell me alot of the local body shops are using it. They tell me it has excellent color match. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this basecoat. I am working on a 95 Chevy Silverado with a 929L Cashmere paint code. I am going to be painting a hood and blending on a bed side. Thanks!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:03 pm
I've heard of Yatu years ago. The Chinese parent company has been around for 23 years or so now. When you pull a MSDS sheet on that basecoat it reads more like an acrylic lacquer than say a urethane or polyester base coat. I've never used it and I have never heard of it being used around me. If I were you I think I would like to talk to a few experienced painters that are using it before trying it. Remember, like Harbor Freight Tools as an example, some Chinese stuff is pretty good, some stuff uhhhhh... not so much.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:03 pm
Thanks for the reply. I ended up going with some Matrix sold by one of the other local shops. The guy there mixing the paint mixed my Imron back int he 70"s. A friend that owns a parts yard and is one of the better restoration shops around here recommended going there for a good color match and good quality paint. This is too nice of a truck to use unknown materials.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:54 pm
Yeah, I've used Matrix a few times myself over the years.....no problems..... Chinese stuff is just "iffy".......
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Body and Paint