orange peel in single stage urethane

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:25 am
What can I do to fix orange peel in single stage urethane?

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:32 am
Wet sand it with 1500 grit Wet, move up to 2000 grit wet. then buff with micro finish compound. Unless you have a single stage with metalic in it, if that is the case wet sand it and reshoot it.

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:04 pm
What if the orange peal happens when you are shooting a BC/CC job? Can it be "hidden" by the clear? Or do you have to stop and redo the Base coat?

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:45 pm
If your getting orange peal in your base coat then your putting it on too heavy. I would sand down the base lightly with some 400-600 and respray a coat before clear coating. You can not sand base and then clear it. If you clear over orange peal you will get more orange peal. After you sand the clear there will not be very much of the clear left to protect the body. So I wouldn't do it.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:10 pm
HORSEPOWER wrote:Wet sand it with 1500 grit Wet, move up to 2000 grit wet. then buff with micro finish compound. Unless you have a single stage with metalic in it, if that is the case wet sand it and reshoot it.

That is the advice I needed...I shot a single stage black yesterday and because it was so hot, I was getting a sandpaper finish. I added more thinner to the paint to make it shoot wetter and got a crap load of orange peel. It finally did lay down for me but there is still a bit of orange peel left. Starting with 1500, moving to 2000 and then buffing with a finish compound sounds good.

Question I have is how soon can I start this process? It has baked in the sun now for total of 24 hours since I finished shooting.

Thanks

Sam

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail