New bumper modifications

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:24 pm
Hello.
Got a question, that hopefully has a solution besides a dumpster. So I bought this A/M bumper for my car. It’s is some sort of Polly or ABS, with no stamp. It is pretty decent copy, with one exception. The flanges that bolt to the bumper should be at about a 45deg angle for a tight gap, they came at a 90deg angle on the A/m bumper. I used a heatgun and was able to soften it up some and move the flange to a better angle.

The problem now it that it has a rolled edge instead of a sharp edge, it looks even worse since the fender has a sharp edge and the bumper rolls about 1/8th” into it. That bothers me, I know it’s something 90% of average people wouldn’t spot, but probably everyone in here would. Is their any sort of bumper repair/patch/glue whatever I could use to build up that edge the reshape it? I’m kind of afraid at this moment of doing more damage and making the bumper just unusable as I trying random things.

I was thinking of trying to hit the edge with something like a P40 then use a two part bumper repair, I just don’t know it it will bite in. So I’m open to ideas or opinions.

Thanks.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:17 pm
Well, I'd start over at.... www.polvance.com If you look in their learning center there you should find some stuff on getting that plastics identity even if you are not seeing a stamp on it. I don't do anything to plastic unless I know what it is..... If that doesn't help just call them at...... 800 633 3047 They have helped me through a few mysteries over the years.... Would be better if it was something you could weld/fuse rather than just fill out.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:09 am
I can't say that even the crappy quality aftermarket bars I've dealt with have had that big a problem. If one did I'd just send it back and replace with a certified part or even genuine if available.

That said, you've done the modification now and need to address the problem. I would use a bumper repair product like Teroson PU92225. With proper preparation this will stick to the bar and match in terms of flexibility. It's sandable but doesn't hold really sharp edges so well. Usually needs a fine skim of fine filler or a few coats of high build primer.

Check compatibility first at that link that Darrel gave you, above.
Chris

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:09 am
Ok good stuff. Well for starters I paid $100 for the bumper shipped. So at that price I’m sure it didn’t even meet China standards. However it looks amazing besides the flanges. Which is why I was asking.
I did learn though. I had no idea someone makes a flat welding rod now. I did try to plastic weld it before asking but I was doing it with an iron. That made it pretty impossible to build up a ledge. The whole time I was thinking their has got to be a better way... Then with the link above They show welding with hot air... and then the imafreakingmoron light went off in my head. I have one of those hot air tools too, just totally forgot about it.

So tomorrow weather permitting I’m going to try and weld it with rods I already have, if they’ll stick, if not I’ll order some of those flexfiber strips and give those a shot. I’ll update with any progress. The car is mostly my drag toy, So it doesn’t have to be perfect, I just didn’t want to spend $800 on a part I’m going to cut up.

Thanks again

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:28 am
So if it is possible.....try to somewhat pre-heat the plastic surfaces you will be welding and make sure everything is clean. If doing it outdoors just use a tarp or plastic to tent the area for a warm up. Cold plastic surfaces tend to "draw" the heat away from the repair area leaving you with unbonded voids.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic