Dew settled on car filler putty. Start again?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

Australia
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:28 am
I had some dew settle on some putty I did today on bare metal perfectly ready for primer. The dew was on for 2 or 3 hours before I realized and dried it off. It was fairly moist. Reckon I need to take it all back and start again? Just two days of work all for nothing :(

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:44 pm
just dry it good and you should be ok. if it were months then i would maybe think differently.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:20 pm
Yeah, I'd think you'd be ok as well. If you need to "convince" yourself you can do a type of simple test we use in conservation when determining if we should be removing old fill work. Just tape down a clear piece of a clear plastic freezer bag. Pass a hair dryer over it from about a foot away and see if fogging or moisture is forming. You shouldn't see anything but hey, if you did I might remove it. I know, bizzare test, huh. We work on some really old woods and metals in conservation work so now those "old" fills are a point of "should they be saved" as part of the historical provenance of the piece." Crazy world out there.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Body and Paint