Noob looking for advice, tips and tricks

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:16 pm
Too bad there's not a buyer for this car before you bondo up those rust holes. It looks like it would be a pretty cool car to repair right. And I realize you're on a budget, I've been there done that way back in my youth also. But that's a neat convertible, Richard Rawlings or Count's Customs near you?

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:35 pm
Ok, so I have an update. The weather is starting to cooperate and I have been block sanding like crazy. I bought a rubber hand block and a set of graduated sand paper. I think all the 220 has a Phd now, so moving on to 500. Plan to hit the door jams and under trunk on Wednesday, and then I can shut all the doors, finish the outside, mask, and then both Saturday and Sunday look good for shooting the outside. I for sure underestimated how much prep work was needed, but fortunately I am in no hurry.

I hear you guys about how Bondo and fiberglass sucks, but I already have over $10k and 10 years invested in this car. If I could break even, with all my labor being worth zero, that would be good. Unfortunately it is not a 67 GTO (although they made more 3 times as many of those) and to properly fix the metal would just not be worth it for this car. First off, they dont make repop parts so, finding good rear quarters would be difficult. The rear floors were replaced with a rear floor from a 65 Galaxie, and the top frame has broken again (on the opposite side from where it broke last time) so I again need to hire a welder for an hour. Hopefully I can find someone reasonable as I have lost touch with the guy who did my floors and top frame and some brake work, before. I had a real bad expereince with Brakemasters, which lead me to another mechanic to fix front end suspension issues, and $2500 later I still have a car that vibrates when I hit the brakes. I actually took Brakemasters to court, who straight up lied under oath, and I lost. It’s still under warranty, supposedly. I don’t want them ever touching my car again.

Anyway.... door jams, under trunk in the next couple days, and then let that dry, shut the doors, finish sanding, finish masking and then I should be ready to shoot the 2k primer this weekend. Hoping to shoot primer Saturday, paint Sunday. No clear.

Not mixing the white with anything. Might as well just keep it for another project, only cost $10. Just gonna go primer, sand with 1200 and then shoot the single stage.

My bad back and arthritis (I am under 50) prevents me from getting things done fast, and it wont be perfect. If I had it all to do over, bag and tag, and media blast, but I am where I am now. Some other guy in the future can redo this car, maybe paint it back to the original “Tiffany Blue” when it is worth what it should be worth. Note that it came to me without the original engine. Has a 428 in it (should be a 390). I’ve built it to be just a fun car that you can drive and enjoy. I have like, all the original top end parts for a 65 Merc Super Marauder 390 should, again, some guy in the future wants to build a correct motor. Note that this car also should say MERCURY across the front and have a script Mercury on the back and I am deleting those badges. Mild custom.

Gettin close!

Note: I’ve been driving this car for a long time now, almost nobody knows what it is. “Nice Goat.” one guy said to me in the post office, and was like, “Huh?” and he said, “Your car.” and I said, “OH! It’s not a GTO. I can see the resemblance though. It’s a Mercury Marauder.” Another guy, when I had it in Vegas, thought it was a Coronet. Kinda looks like a Charger with the front grill out.

https://ibb.co/4WDyG6h

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:36 pm
most likely your primer is not going to go on smooth, I would sand with 600 then go to your S/S. 1200 is to fine, and it will sand twice as fast with the 600.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:51 pm
The kit I bought I think has 220, 500 and 1200. I think 3 sheets of each Harbor Freight deal. Each sheet I can cut in 3 strips for my sanding block, plus a 2 inch square for those hard to reach places. The 220 is all used up now.

I’ve gotten pretty good at “skimcoating”. I was literally using a block of wood, yeah, I spent like $20 at Harbor Freight, got microfiber towels for free, a spray can of filler primer, the graduated sandpaper kit (most expensive item, was like $10) and a rubber sanding block. Palm sized, ya know your standard block with the little nails inside it. Just been wet sanding the heck out of it. Still not there. But close!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:03 pm
COOL!
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:12 pm
Ok, I got something to admit. It has to do with **** work that I know is undernath certain areas, and it’s too much. I literally pulled a piece of cardboard out of the passenger qp a couple months ago.

The old saying about cars like this, that didn’t get treated right and got a little rusty, this car came to me from up in the Seattle area. Was not expensive to buy. Shipped it out to Arizona, knew I could make a quick grand on it, but ... the more I learned about it, I kinda fell in love.

These cars weren’t built just to compete with Lincoln, within Ford’s own “luxury” line, these cars were built to win stock car races. These Marauders, were NASCAR winners.

1966, here comes the 428 .... hey neither is gonna win you a race off the line against a modern Camaro today, but this car wa built, by the best engineers in America, to just go. Leaking oil, no problem, stop and put more oil in it. High compression engine. I’d say the car “wants” to go like 90 MPH. I’ve had it at 120 and it’s like flying on a magic carpet ride. Prolly, on a good day, with the wind at yer back get to like 135-145 no problem.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:17 pm
Sorry, I ramble sometimes, anyway, I know certain areas where cracks have come up from the old, bad bodywork. So, I put some resin on them, like fiberglass resin, and then skimmcoat of Bondo over that, once it’s dry, of course. Hope that seals it.

I know, I should grind it out and start over but, times up for me on this 19 foot long car.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:20 pm
10 friggin years I been working in this qp.

https://ibb.co/m6QzT34

There’s actually a plastic and rubber piece that is supposed to go between the bumper and the body, there is supposed to be a gap there. Totally impossible to find part. Gonna have to get creative.

Anyone see that light green in there? Dolphin glaze.

Wish I had somma that now. Hoping the filler primer is gonna cover a lot of small issues.

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:56 pm
65Marauder wrote:The kit I bought I think has 220, 500 and 1200. I think 3 sheets of each Harbor Freight deal. Each sheet I can cut in 3 strips for my sanding block, plus a 2 inch square for those hard to reach places. The 220 is all used up now...

500 to 1200??? That is quite the jump. You are just going to polish off the top of the 500 scratches. Why bother?
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:57 am
Pretty important step between 500 and 1200 I mighta left out.

2k filler primer.

I know ... 700 more seems like a lot. But we are talkin 2k range here.

Jesus told me, this is good enough.

You wanna fight Jesus? Go ahead. Sir. Go ahead.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_cYQ-1O5cmE
PreviousNext

Return to Body and Paint