Bug Deflector Rub Marks on Paint

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:15 pm
Hello! I am hoping some of you who are more knowledgeable about body paint can help with my problem. I recently bought a 2017 F150 with 5,000 miles on it. The truck had a stick on Ford OEM bug deflector on it, which I didn't like. After purchasing it one of the first things I did was remove it. I was so hopeful there wasn't any damage. After getting it off and cleaning it up I noticed several rub marks where the plastic from the bug deflector rubbed against the paint and left marks (see attached photos). I'm not knowledgeable at all when it comes to paint/body work so I am still hopeful this isn't too bad. I'm not sure if these are just marks in the clear coat or marks in the paint. They do not feel too deep but are a little rough to the touch when I rub my finger over them. They also almost completely disappear when I get them wet but then reappear when they are dry.

My questions are:
1. Do I need to be worried about the paint around these marks getting worse in the years to come (i.e. paint peeling). This is my primary concern.
2. Is there anything I can do to make these marks go away or at least be a little less noticeable?

20190207_141440.jpg

20190207_141347.jpg

Thanks

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:41 pm
If it didn't wear through the clear I wouldn't worry about it getting worse or peeling. what I would do is take it to a good auto detailer and see what he has to say about making it shiny again.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:04 am
If they disappear when wet then they're not all the way through the clear.

Get some automotive touch up clear (or your wife's clear nail polish) and put a tiny dab on each one, just big enough to cover the damaged area. Give her nail polish back and go have a beer.
Last edited by NFT5 on Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:11 am
Thanks for the responses guys, I ended up stopping at an auto body shop in town and he seemed confident that he could get it looking better by wet sanding the bad spots and then polishing. The wet sanding part made me nervous but I figured he was the expert. He was able to make all of the spots pretty much disappear completely except for one. On that one spot, the wet sanding burned off the paint and you could see a white spot about 1.25" long by 3/8" wide. He said that it wasn't bare metal but I couldn't really tell (it did look more white than aluminum/metal). He mixed up some touch up paint and put that on and a little clear coat over that.

Should I be concerned about this spot as long as I am alright with how it looks? Everything else looks fantastic and I couldn't be happier with how it looks from where it was (even the spot with touch up paint is much less noticeable than it was). However, I am worried about this spot and if I will have problems with it moving forward (rust, corrosion, pealing)? Does what he did on that spot sound alright? Again, I am satisfied with the look but more worried about problems moving forward.

It was pretty hard to get a good picture of the touch up spot because of reflections and it doesn't stand out to much.

What do you guys think?

20190212_100231.jpg

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:48 pm
he probably sprayed some base and then clear. that's the proper way and should be fine, especially if your happy.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:35 am
No, Jay, he wet sanded and then buffed it and went through, making a very small imperfection into a much larger one. He then touched it up with a brush and did a crap job, with the paint way too thick, uneven and leaving holes and gaps. Not to mention a colour match which could have been done better by a blind man. Finally he put some clear over it, probably 2K, so sealing, forever, the mess he made.

OP, I realise you don't know who I am or what I do but, nevertheless, it annoys the hell out of me when people ask for advice, get it, and then ignore it. I run a business where a major part of what we do is correction and that includes touch ups. The advice I gave you would have had those marks all but disappear but now you have a much larger and, IMHO, much uglier repair. If we'd done this in the shop I would have resprayed the panel to correct our error.

In terms of longevity, it's now sealed and you won't have any problems with rust or corrosion. Nor will any bells peal.

Maybe you're happy with the result and, if so, good luck to you. I wouldn't be, nor would most of my customers. :realmad:
Chris

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:41 pm
Chris, your absolutely right. I didn't blow the picture up, I just assumed that the way the o/p said it went down that it was sprayed. my bad :whoops: I hope i'm forgiven :bighug:
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:48 pm
im a little late... but IMO what shouldve been done is cut some little patches of clear bra where it is rubbing and put the deflector back on.

or lightly polish, no wet sanding and move on
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:00 pm
No wukkers, Jay. You're all good, mate.

PD, in the shop, where I can see and feel something like this I probably would have done the same. But on the internet, going by what's said by a non-professional and with photos that don't always tell the whole story, one has to take the least aggressive approach to repair.
Chris

Return to Body and Paint