Noob looking for advice, tips and tricks

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:59 am
This guy has to be screwing with you guys. Just the description of the mess he has made of this car... nobody is that much of a hack, not when they intended (at least at one point) to keep the car. Next he is going to ask about painting the car with those little foam paint brushes from Home Depot. :goodjob:

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:06 am
Your Harbor Freight gun is a bottom of the barrel item that is unlikely to give you a decent finish on topcoats. They are $9 for God's sake! Buy a decent gun and keep the HF for primer duty if you must.
Also, what do you have for a compressor? You say you have one but it really needs to be at least 12cfm - preferably more - for an overall paint job.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:10 pm
jkesselr wrote:This guy has to be screwing with you guys. Just the description of the mess he has made of this car... nobody is that much of a hack, not when they intended (at least at one point) to keep the car. Next he is going to ask about painting the car with those little foam paint brushes from Home Depot. :goodjob:

I DON'T KNOW ?
But not everyone has a 100k paint booth and all the best equipment plus 50 years of experience. theirs's also the other end of the spectrum ones with very little. I believe if someone is asking for help i'll do my best to provide it no mater where he is on that spectrum. that's all I can do and it make me feel good to do it. :happy:
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:23 pm
jkesselr wrote:This guy has to be screwing with you guys. Just the description of the mess he has made of this car... nobody is that much of a hack, not when they intended (at least at one point) to keep the car. Next he is going to ask about painting the car with those little foam paint brushes from Home Depot. :goodjob:

Ha,ha! I have seen some incredible hack work done on cars. Some do it out of ignorance and others intentionally so they can sell the car quick and have as little money in it as possible.

On my Coronet R/T there was a T-shirt rolled up and stuffed in a rust hole in front of the rear wheel, it had window screen over it and was then filled in with bondo.

Check out this hack work on the a 65 Buick Convertible:
Quarter Right Rust.JPG

Quarter Panel Right Side Wheel Well Lip.JPG

Floor patch work:
Floor pan patches 3.JPG

Floor Rust through 1.JPG

They scabbed the back half of this quarter panel on, the caved, paved and sculpted it with over 2" of filler:
Deep Bondo.JPG

Check out this band aid on the frame of this Jeep CJ5:
Frame Repair Old.JPG

The frame was cracked all the way through and they simply weld a patch on the outside.
Previously Patched Area.JPG

I have seen some incredible hack work. We don't condone such work on this site and therefore most of the hacks never return after seeing they are not getting the answers they wanted.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:37 pm
65Marauder wrote:
Jesus told me, this is good enough.

You wanna fight Jesus? Go ahead. Sir. Go ahead.

must not be the Jesus i believe in who is the Son of the God that said this:

Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed....

The soul of the sluggard craves and gets nothing, while the soul of the diligent is richly supplied.

So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

A slack hand causes poverty, but the hand of the diligent makes rich.

Commit your work to the Lord, and your plans will be established.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

satan whispers in our ears.

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:40 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote: Ha,ha! I have seen some incredible hack work done on cars. Some do it out of ignorance and others intentionally so they can sell the car quick and have as little money in it as possible...

They scabbed the back half of this quarter panel on, the caved, paved and sculpted it with over 2" of filler:...

I have seen some incredible hack work. We don't condone such work on this site and therefore most of the hacks never return after seeing they are not getting the answers they wanted.

68, That quarter panel with all the bondo is just plain SCARY! The worst part is when some poor slob (like myself) ends up buying some POS like that.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:42 pm
This car was gone (rear floors were literally not there) when I bought it for $900near Seattle. I brought it out here to Arizona and saved it. $10k and 10 years later (yes, new top, 428 motor and C6, custom exhaust, had new floors welded in, new rims, new brakes, new front suspension, aquired a lot of rare parts). Someone said God help the poor person that buys this car, THAT’S ME! I’m the poor sucker that bought this car. It’s a rare car, one of 3005 made and it deserves to have $50k sunk into a frame off resto and when you were done, you might be able to sell it for $35k.

Anyway, we have the door jambs and under the trunk done, primered the outside today. It didn’t go so well. Our drilled out 1.9 primer gun would not spray. Clogged or something, wouldn’t work and we had to shoot it through the 1.4 with reducer. It came out rough. Felt like sand paper, and we ran out. 1 quart is not enough for a 20 foot car. Coulda used most of a gallon. So, it’s OK because we can just add another day to the job, and the hood was already pretty much done. Weather looks good the next 2 days, sanding with 1200 now, got a few little spots to finish, picked up a rattle can of fill for $8 at Orielly for spot work. One day for post primer detail work, spray on Friday.

I’m making a video about it which I will post on youtube, with the title being something like, “Am I stupid enough to paint this classic car with a $10 Harbor Freight gun?”

It’s not going to be a fantastic, $5k job. It’s going to be a job by an amateur with $300 to spend on materials. However, I do have some basic previous experience and I am willing to put in the time. In Florida, or Michigan, or lots of other places, this is poor work and the rust will come back like cancer. In Arizona this will last for a long time. I think the paint will look better actually, after it is faded by the Arizona sun and I want to be able to drive it and not freak out if it gets a ding, or sell it for a decent price if I have to. The crap work that was previously done on this car, (Bondo over cardboard and tinfoil) is all gone and replaced with Bondo over fiberglass and resin, like proper crap work should be done.

We are almost there though, after 10 friggin years, we are close, boys! Can you smell it? That activator man, really stinks. Had to buy a proper mask.

https://imgur.com/a/nWiDb7Y
Last edited by 65Marauder on Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:55 pm
I would sand with 800, 1200 won't do anything but make a lot of work.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:15 am
I might still use like the half sheet of 500 that I have in a few spots, got a lotta 1200 left. Couple sheets of 800 woulda been a good addition to this cheap (Harbor Freight) kit I bought.

What really sucks is, because I have been working on every inch of this car for so long, even if other people think this is a nice job, I will forever see all the imperfections. Had the sun hit it just right this afternoon and I was like, “I’m gonna need another day.”

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:46 am
Sidebars:

“You’re lucky.”

In a lotta ways, I’ve had a hard life. And I was working on that spot, the **** spot where it’s curved, part next to trunk lid closes, was all rusted out, took my uncle’s beer can and some Bondo and started just, trying to get some structure there. “Man, you’re lucky.” and I looked over at my uncle, and I was confused because, he knows the stuff I have been through, confused I said, “why?” and he said, “because you can just do stuff”. I’m a creative person, he was trying to say, I actually have a BFA. I started college as a painting major. Acrylic on canvas, mostly. So, really it took time for me to learn to be able to “just do stuff.”

“It’s not rocket science.”

About, 9 1/2 or so years ago, when I first started on removing the trim and getting into the rust removal a guy came over to look at the car, said he does paint and body. He looks over the car. “Yeah, I can tell from what I see, you know what you’re doing. Just keep going. It’s not rocket science.” Economy was not so good, did this guy just turn down a job? More recently, took it to a place for an estimate, guy was all by himself, about to close for the weekend, took some pictures, said $4500+ and never got back to me about a solid quote. I get it. More than ever now. Been a lot of work.

It’s not totally accurate to call me a noob. Had a job once airbrushing leather, just solid colors, but not like I never used a gun before. And my first time with Bondo, musta been 15 years old, 1985, but I am not gonna say I have 34 years of experience. I’ve done a lotta other things, besides work on cars, since 1985. 1995 to 2005 I lived in NYC. Didn’t even own a car. Keep it simple, stupid, right?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sMmTkKz60W8

:rockon:

I may have, previously told one or both of these stories in this thread and I forgot. Appologies if that is the case.
PreviousNext

Return to Body and Paint