How long does clear coat take to fully harden?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:29 pm
I painted the front cap on my RV over the weekend (Sunday). Today I tested in a small inconspicuous place to see how hard the paint is (it's a base coat/clear coat system).

I was able to make a little scratch mark with my thumbnail.

Is that normal?

I know the paint is still "soft" for a little while after spraying - which is why the pros say it is the best time to color sand and buff.

But as this is my first paint job I 'm not sure what to expect. My concern is that I was painting outdoors and the temps were in the high 90s with humidity in the high 90s. I know that I'm painting outside of the normal painting conditions for a booth.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:24 pm
Way to soon for a test.....while heat/humidity do affect curing the whole point behind 2k products is they are chemically hardened materials. Let the chemistry do it's work.....check again in a week to 10 days and I am sure it will be much harder......
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:14 am
Thanks.
I do plan to color sand a few dirt specs out of the paint. I'll do that this weekend.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:58 am
Next time your are doing base/clear you'll probably have a little bit of clear left over that was "mixed." I usually dump that out in one of my used mixing cups, put a date on the outside and just set it up on the shelf. The clear will form a "puck" essentially telling me about the condition of the now curing/hardening coating on the car. Probably not the most accurate way of telling what is going on but if it were say mixed wrong or worse your hardener had gone bad that puck would not form and harden correctly.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:15 am
Great idea

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:39 am
The thicker the clear, the longer it takes.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Return to Body and Paint