Fiberglass Polyester Resin and FFG2?

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:51 pm
I am going to be building some kick panels and lower door panels for a buddy’s 56 Ford truck out of fiberglass over MDF.

They are to house the speakers for the new audio system.

Its been quite awhile since I have worked with fiberglass – 25 years ago while in college on my jet boats – and now I have access to a few more tools (spray guns) and materials (epoxy primers, high build poly fillers such as FFG2 “Feather Fill G2”)

The backing and speaker rings will be either plywood or mdf with the typical fleece/fiberglass cover for the shape.

The whole panel will be covered with thin foam, then leather so the finish doesn’t need to be as fine as paint prep but Im gonna make it pretty close. I will be blocking it out and probably end up with 320 instead of 600/800.

I will use polyester resins, with both CSM (chopped strand mat) and a light weight woven fabric.

Cover with Epoxy and FFG2, block more FFG2 and see what I have then.

Now my question:
I used to use both laminating and finishing/topping/sanding polyester resins.
I would do my layups wet on wet with the laminating resin (no waxes) and finish my last coat with a finishing resin (with wax for curing). Let cure for a week or so, then prep for paint.

After my layup layers using the laminating resin, Can I skip the finishing resin and top with FFG2 (wet on wet) using it as the finishing topping or is that asking for trouble?

The back side would still be open with no finishing resin or FFG2.

Thanks guys...
Last edited by OldFatBald on Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:52 pm
The project truck...

56 ford 01.jpg

56 ford 02.jpg

56 ford 03.jpg

56 ford 04.jpg
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:59 pm
Well, gee.....that's a good question. I would think you would be okay however....hmmmmm.....check out this TDS sheet on it.....
http://www.evercoat.com/images/ePIM/ori ... 16-ENG.pdf
The way I read that sheet I think you would be fine.....as a precaution though I might give Evercoat a direct call at their phone number on those pages. I have talked to their tech. guys a few times over the years and they know their stuff...
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:16 am
OFB, any follow up to this? I'd be really interested to know what you found out. Also, progress pics too :pcorn:

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic