I need a sander...

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:55 pm
I’m not a pro and don’t do this daily but I’ve always got a project going on. I’ve tried the cheap harbor freight da sanders and cheap electric orbital sander and they haven’t held up. What is good for under $150? I kind of want something like a 5” instead of a 6”. Seems like it would be a little easier to maneuver. I also prefer the palm style, but let me know if I should be looking at something different.

I’m open to suggestions and would to order something by tomorrow. My electric orbital just died and I’m kinda stuck with not many options local. I need something dependable.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:34 pm
So are you wanting to go "air" or stay with electric?
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:18 pm
Air unless there’s a good electric alternative. The cheap electric sanders I’ve tried I haven’t cared for. I have enough compressor for air.

I need to make a summitracing order and I see they have aircat but I’ve never heard of them.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:24 pm
So we've gone through a lot of different brands of air sanders through the years in our wood shops. I do indeed prefer a 5" pad for what we do. As for ones that are in that $150 cap I honestly don't think you will find ones that are "that" much better than the ones at Harbor Freight. We've had Dynabrade, Sioux, Ingersoll Rand and several others that were in the price range and they would last a year at most before needing at least rebuilding or they were just so crapped out we pitched them. Now, if you want to step up to sturdier models used by pro shops I'd look at Hutchin's , National Detroit, etc. Problem is a lot of the palm sanders are starting to look like just a few companies are making them and then rebranding them. In fact, look at this newer Hutchin's....https://express.google.com/u/0/product/ ... BlEALw_wcB
That thing looks an awful lot like the old Spirit Dynabrade. And then there is National Detroit....I've seen their sanders demonstrated in classes and liked what I saw....now....boom Dyanbrade buys out National Detroit. So have those great gear downed sanders been dumbed down? And, no, I'm not familiar with Aircat but Summit stands behind their tools. I've dealt with them and Jeg's for 20 years or so.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:39 am
So I think you’re saying basically what I figured. For $150 they’re going to be pretty similar.

I actually have that Hutchins in my cart, along with an aircat. I haven’t decide which way I’m going. Aircat is a few buck cheaper and I saw a couple reviews from people who loved it. I might give it a try.

One thing you mentioned was about rebuilding them. I’m gonna have to look into that. I would definitely prefer something that I can get parts for later on down the road

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:41 am
Rebuilding is a definite possibility once you have identified just what is going bad on them. Years ago we had a local industrial shop here that would have "Rebuild Days" and you could bring in your Sioux sanders, parts were like 20% off, and labor was 30% off. They'd just basically gut the things and I had a like new sander for another year at about 1/2 the price of replacement. We even had a similar deal on Makita electric sanders back in the day. And now, not so much. By the time we usually add up the parts and labor (ours or a shops) to rebuild we could just go buy another.... With all of these import taxes on the horizon it again may start to be more economical to just rebuild stuff or buy used and just burn em' up.
Hey, just looking at the spec.s on the Aircat. Man, if that 1.6 cfm usage can be believed that's pretty incredible. Most hand held palm style air sanders will go from 10 to 18 cfm in normal usage. I would assume the low vibration claim might be valid with that 1.6 flow rate. It's probably got a new lighter weight compression building cam/wheel in it. I had a low cfm model sander we tried a few years back. The cam/wheel thing blew up in under 2 months of use. Tradeoffs with eveything....

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:42 am
Well I had just typed up a big post but somehow it disappeared but basically...

I’m looking at the 3/32 dynabrade, Hutchins, and aircats. I’ll buy another cheapo for a more aggressive sander. I keep reading aircats are more air efficient but unsure of durability. I’m open to spending a little more money if it gets me better quality.

I’m very curious about the self generating vacuum. Are the effective or should I skip them?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:57 am
Ha, yeah, I just added that as an edit..... I don't like the vacuum function, just another bag or hose hanging off the sander. And then you have "hole" style psa or velcro sandpaper to line up/deal with. We get the best prices in 100 count discs on Mirka/No holes. Those discs start at 80 grit and go up through 400.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:14 am
I have a hard time believing the 1.6 claim on the aircat but I have read user reviews that are comparing them to other sanders and say the aircat isn’t an “air hog” like the others.

I’ll skip the vacuum I think. I don’t really want another hose in my way.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:27 am
You are dealing with Summit....nothing to risk here, if you ask me. Give it a try....I might even pick one up....
Next

Return to Tools and Supplies