Primer and rust?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:12 pm
I just remembered that you said that you shot it with SEM's self etch.

Tamco's TDS for the 5311 DTM high build says "Do NOT use
any metal prep or OSPHO under this product. It will cause failure"
Their TDS for their epoxy has the same verbiage.

Doesn't mention Self Etch but I have never used Self Etch, so get ahold of Tamco and check. Call them at 800-678-1533

And BTW, you can purchase a lot of Tamco's products from Chris right here on this web site. Bonus is Chris has great prices and if you buy enough he will come out to my place and help me prep my Caddy!

https://www.autobody101.com/store/index ... iew=Thumb3
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:04 pm
OldFatBald wrote:Yes the Tamco 5311 is their DTM (and rust) primer.

Since I am a rookie weekend hack, I use a lot of Tamco's products due to the price, quality and service. Tammy has replied to me on a Saturday more than once. The president of PPG wont even give me a T-shirt and only talks to Painter Dave!

I would sand off most of the rust that I could get to.

If you cant get all of the rust off, Shoot a coat of the 5311, then cover with one of their HP-66x (661, 662, 663 just color differences) Epoxy primers.

If you can get all of the rust off, Just start with the HP-66x epoxy.

I am assuming that you are shooting that behemoth outside and Tamco's epoxy stays soft for longer than something like PPG's DPLV. But you should be ok. I am guessing that this isn't going to be in the next AMBR show.

Get some closer photos of the rust and the top of the panel.

What state are you located in?

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I am painting it in the driveway and no, it won't be show car quality. I have some buddies that painted theirs with roller and brush. Their results were surprising but I want a little better finish and I want it to last.

I will shoot a couple more pics.

I am in SE Washington State. Over in the Sagebrush and rattlesnake part of the state.

So the plan is to sand the existing primer with 80 grit and shoot the 5311 and follow that with one of the epoxy primers.

Gotta hurry.... It's starting to cool off in my paint booth (driveway) and the dreaded aphid hatch is coming. It took me two days to sand down all of the aphid carcasses from my first primer application.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:09 pm
OldFatBald wrote:I just remembered that you said that you shot it with SEM's self etch.

Tamco's TDS for the 5311 DTM high build says "Do NOT use
any metal prep or OSPHO under this product. It will cause failure"
Their TDS for their epoxy has the same verbiage.

Doesn't mention Self Etch but I have never used Self Etch, so get ahold of Tamco and check. Call them at 800-678-1533

And BTW, you can purchase a lot of Tamco's products from Chris right here on this web site. Bonus is Chris has great prices and if you buy enough he will come out to my place and help me prep my Caddy!

https://www.autobody101.com/store/index ... iew=Thumb3

Thanks for the heads up. I will call Tamco.

If Chris is going to help with prep, I want him out here. I have about six times the real estate to prep :)
Previous

Return to Body and Paint