Complete Newbie

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:59 pm
I would do one or two panels at a time. strip to bare metal and do any repairs then coat with epoxy. then the next day do your filler work, when smooth shoot a coat of epoxy. now you can move on to the next panels.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:33 pm
Your turbine questions will be addressed in the Tools and Supplies section.

Plan looked good until you got the the Maaco part. :wink:
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:37 pm
It depends on the amount of work the panels need.
I normally shoot two coats of black epoxy and then wait 24 hours or more and lightly block sand with 120-180 grit. This will act like a guide coat in that the shiny spots remaining are low spots.

I use 3M Marson Platinum filler myself because it is reasonably priced and sand fairly easy.

You can apply the filler to the low "shiny" spots without sanding first as long as you are in the recoat window.

Spread past the area by a couple of inches all the way around so that when you block sand it will feather into the surrounding epoxy.

If the panel needs a lot of work, then I shoot two coat of epoxy and the next day I will shoot 2-3 coats of polyester primer (Featherfill G2, SlickSand, etc.) which is like spray on body filler. You will need a large tipped primer gun and be sure to read carefully the instructions because this stuff will set up in the gun when it kicks. (like body filler)

There are sticky posts at the top of each Forum which will provide a lot of information. Also see the material in the Info Center.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Body and Paint