How Should I Proceed with Bare Metal & Filler

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:44 pm
So I'm in a bit of a dilemma and I'm not sure how to proceed. I've been working on my first overall paint job for a while now and I've got all the body work mostly wrapped up. I have several panels and parts of the body in bare metal and/or with filler work done. I would like to spray epoxy primer over everything to protect the metal and filler but I've been reading the temps for spraying epoxy need to be 60-70 degrees minimum while spraying and for sometime after to let the epoxy cure. I've got a trashcan-style propane heater that can get the temps close to this for spraying but the fumes get to be too much after 30-45 minutes and it stinks up the house (furnace is in the garage). I guess I'm wondering what people think would be viable solutions moving forward?.....

- Anyone have special techniques for making epoxy primer work in colder temps? I live in the Pacific North West and winter temps are relatively mild compared to the rest of the US but still too low for what I want to do.

- Are there any epoxies or sealers on the market that can be sprayed in say... the 50 degree range? I have Omni MP175 but would consider other products.

- Should I shoot my 2k Urethane Primer over it and epoxy/seal this spring?

- Should I rattle can it with some 1k and then use paint thinner or prep solvent to remove it in the spring when I have more favorable temps?

- Anyone had success with 220v electric garage heaters? I picked up the 7500w garage heater below and I'm hoping will work to get temps up in my three-car garage and maybe supplement with the propane heater as needed.

https://www.ruralking.com/comfort-zone-240v-7500w-garage-heater-cz230er?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=shopping&utm_content=3400364&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2vjuBRCqARIsAJL5a-ILa4lriaamSxjk7w_7OoWNrgG67veX6NUAXCScxZb5l3OO61_c7lMaAs6rEALw_wcB

Any thoughts or practices would be appreciated :goodjob:

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:19 am
Grabbit wrote: I've got a trashcan-style propane heater that can get the temps close to this for spraying but the fumes get to be too much after 30-45 minutes and it stinks up the house (furnace is in the garage).

You will be exposing your family to the paint fumes.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:13 pm
^ This wont be an issue. I have a makeshift booth and will be running fans with the garage door cracked a foot or so. I've done this several times in the past without issues. Thanks for the help though...

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:54 pm
I use a 240v electric heater in my booth. It works fine.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools ... _200395481
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Body and Paint