Reclearing a 10 yr old

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:28 am
Got a 10 yr old Porsche with chips, scratches.going to fill them with catalized color & then wet sand entire car with 600 & then reclear entire car.Any downsides to this? the car presents very well & I would like to avoid a repaint. thanking you guys in advance, have a great thanksgiving, tom south Florida

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:48 am
So a 10 year old modern factory paint is some pretty decent coating.... If you dial in the fact that a car like this probably lived in the garage quite a bit of the time (I'm assuming that....) you are probably okay. Florida kills with UV but the garaging factor probably negates that....
When determining IF I'm going to clear over an existing clear like that I usually start doing some tape testing low on the car move up to the deck lids, roof, etc. I use a high tack auto masking tape and just press it down firmly and slowly pull off at an angle. I look at it with a magnifying glass. If the clear is starting pull or looks like delam. you've answered your question.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:40 pm
dognut wrote:chips, scratches.going to fill them with catalized color

They will still be visible. Unlikely you will get such a perfect colour match if solid and if metallic the flake will lay down differently.

dognut wrote:wet sand entire car with 600 & then reclear

P600 wet scratches will show under clear

dognut wrote:I would like to avoid a repaint.

But, by doing whole car you are already doing a full respray.

If you're going to re-clear the whole car you'd be better off filling the chips and scratches with a fine filler, sanding flat and then putting colour down before the clear. Not much extra work and a much better result, assuming that the clear is still in good condition. But, to justify this the chips and scratches need to be extensive. If they're not, just touch them up and polish down, keeping the other 99% of the car original and avoiding the risk that your clear job will be visible and reduce the value of the car.
Chris

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:21 am
Thanks for the feedback.Going to repaint.Have a great Christmas.

Return to Body and Paint