Painting Door Jams

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:20 pm
I’m painting a 1998 dodge Dakota with my grandson. Think we are ready for paint.
We have epoxy primed the entire truck except the engine bay that we are not painting. Fixed all the dents. Thought there were 5 or 6, ended up being over 30 areas we added filler to. Used 2K primer and have it wet sanded with 500.

I’m using Omni base coat and clear products. What is the right order to paint and clear the jams and truck.
Thank you for your advice, Paul

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:57 am
A lot depends on your experience level which I take from your post to be minimal.
Solid colors are easier to spray than metallics with silver being one of the toughest.
Omni is a very low end paint and depending on the color it may take a few coats to cover.
It also makes a difference if you are doing a color change or repainting the original color.

Normally on a truck, I will unbolt and slide the bed back a few feet, remove the hood, doors and tailgate. I then paint those parts separately (in such cases everything has to be done exactly the same way or they won't match).
Door inside cleared 2.JPG

Mask off the things I do not want painted and then shoot the door, hood, tailgate jambs along with the shell.
Clear 2 cts back of cab.JPG

IMGP0001.JPG

Then reassemble making sure to mask the edges and use great care.
Door Left Rear View.JPG

Front View.JPG
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:08 am
An alternative method is to mask off the interior where the door weatherstrip seal makes contact.
Paint your jambs and the inside edges of your doors (places you can't get to when assembled) complete. (i.e. base and clear coat)
Then when clear has set reinstall the doors and paint the exterior all at once.
Base 1 coat 1.JPG

Front Right Cleared.JPG
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:56 pm
Thanks

Return to Body and Paint