Solvent pop

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:53 am
So redo, paying super duper attention to cleanliness between base coats.

I only applied two clear coats on at the momment and need to do another 4 but I need to clean areas up

Yellow arrow is pointing to where some colour got under my tape

Green arrows are pointing to an area I need to scrape back to white plastic for a clean edge which is typically how we do it in the guitar painting world, paint over the very thin binding and razor blade scrape it clean

Question - After i scrape the areas mentioned above with a razor blade, i need to apply more clear(1k), what is a good grit or paint scuff pad for keying the clear painted surface for more coats, we are talking approx 24hrs after the last clear coat
Attachments
IMG_2911.JPG

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:27 pm
I see a little roughness in the red, I would sand it lightly with some 800 just to smooth the big areas. then use the scratch pad to get all the tight areas the scratch pad won't smooth out any roughness.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:06 am
Awesome, followed that and it came out perfect.

Will check tomorrow with some tape and make sure no adhesion issues have occured

I pushed my clear times (1k) out to an hr between coats, which was dry enough for me to knock of any tiny dust drop ins before the next coat.

Steve

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:15 pm
may I make a recommendation that you might try some of the fast panel clears that are available. they flash in minutes and can be dust free in 4-5 minuets or less. I use to use a clear like this from DuPont called 7600S. long been replaced with something else. used it on motorcycle tanks, fenders and other smaller parts they work just like regular clears only they flash and dry way faster. they might be an advantage to what your doing with the guitars.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:46 pm
Thankyou, I will contact paint shop today about that stuff and give it a go as well

Steve

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:22 am
Simso, I use fast clears all the time since a lot of my jobs are relatively small and I can't afford to have the booth tied up while waiting for clear to go off enough to put the car or job outside.

One of the best fast clears I used was a 10:1 clear from Dulux, but it was hellishly expensive. The Dupont/Axalta fast clears aren't bad but also very dear. A bit more realistic on price is the Quickee Clear by Gentec - not bad but a bit light on solids.

I'm currently using Euroflash 2:1 which is sold by Concept Paints. Lays down really nice and has super short flash times and 2 hours to cut and buff. At about $200 for a 7.5l kit is also one of the most reasonably priced.

The thing about fast clears is that while they work well, as Jay says, in getting to 'dust free' quickly and thereby reducing the chance if nibs, they also need application with a constant wet edge, otherwise your overspray won't melt in. A slow hardener might help, as would a retarder, but painting something like a guitar is going to need some planning and laying down fairly quickly.
Chris

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:15 am
2hrs before cut and buff that is insane, but i like the idea a lot.

I contacted my paint supplier and am collecting some fast clears to experiment with

I painted another neck today for another guitar using base coat and clear, went really well.

Got two full resprays in solid colours over the next few days I am going to use the fast clears on them.

Hahaha this weekend I am back to painting my car parts :rotfl: , got to blast some door hinges and epoxy prime them and some bolts

Steve

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:28 pm
NFT5 wrote:Simso, I use fast clears all the time since a lot of my jobs are relatively small and I can't afford to have the booth tied up while waiting for clear to go off enough to put the car or job outside.

One of the best fast clears I used was a 10:1 clear from Dulux, but it was hellishly expensive. The Dupont/Axalta fast clears aren't bad but also very dear. A bit more realistic on price is the Quickee Clear by Gentec - not bad but a bit light on solids.

I'm currently using Euroflash 2:1 which is sold by Concept Paints. Lays down really nice and has super short flash times and 2 hours to cut and buff. At about $200 for a 7.5l kit is also one of the most reasonably priced.

The thing about fast clears is that while they work well, as Jay says, in getting to 'dust free' quickly and thereby reducing the chance if nibs, they also need application with a constant wet edge, otherwise your overspray won't melt in. A slow hardener might help, as would a retarder, but painting something like a guitar is going to need some planning and laying down fairly quickly.

:goodpost: yep it takes some getting use to, and you need to move fast
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:03 pm
simso wrote:Thankyou, I will contact paint shop today about that stuff and give it a go as well
Steve

Steve,

For speed clears, I use House of Kolors' Urethane Rokket Klear (URC01) all the time for artwork as I am usually doing small items (trunk lid being the largest) and only have the weekends to shoot.

The stuff is pretty easy to use, two wet coats with about 2 minutes in between coats.

The stuff is awesome. PPG, Tamco and others all have their own version of a "Speed Clear" made for the pros like Chris doing shop work and like he says needing to get the jobs out the door.

I assume that you are in the States, I haven't heard of the brands that Chris uses as he is in Australia - playing rugby (elegance with blood as we used to call it) drinking beer and eating shrimp!
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:04 pm
Thanks for tnat, i too am from down under, the great land of aussie pies / beers and kangaroos :rotfl:

Steve
PreviousNext

Return to Body and Paint