Wax and Grease remover - Limitations

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:39 am
After some advice, I typically always prep with a solvent based wax and grease remover, and if I need to clean up after painting I use said wax and grease remover.

I recently switched over to base coats and 1k clears and I am finding that when I try to use this wax and grease remover on either the base coat or the clear the surface goes gummy / tacky / imprints.

Question 1 - Is there a time period that you cannot use solvent based wax and grease remover on anything painted in base coat or 1k clear.

Question 2 - Is there an alternative for cleaning a freshly painted (less than say 3 days) base coat or 1k clear for additional paint work, example should I be using a water based cleaner

Steve

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:04 am
Scrolling through 14yrs of posts on this site :clap: i found lots of info.

Would still love to hear from people on recommendations, lots of posts referred to mineral spirits,

To clarify the reason i found this issue was I had to do a touch up on a rub through i made when buffing, so base coat back over my clear coat, i cleaned first with disastrous results.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:49 am
:shocked: :rolleyes: :cry:

Never use Prepsol on fresh paint or on basecoat. Ever. On fully cured and hardened paint only and, if 1K, sparingly!

Don't leave basecoat for 3 days before clearing.

If you have to do something to a piece while in basecoat, use gloves and avoid any kind of oil or grease contamination. Tack and blow before next coat.

You can use a water based cleaner (50% water, 50% metho) on primer before basecoating. Actually you can use it on the substrate before priming too, if you like. Tack and blow before painting.

Mineral spirits is what we call turps.
Chris

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:23 am
I use Dawn dish soap instead of wax and grease remover when
ever I can wash it off with water. It's much more thorough.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Return to Body and Paint