AirCat DA with PSA

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:11 pm
Been looking for a descent DA sander and finally settled on AirCat DA sander but without Hook and Loop, I would prefer the PSA backer. I've gone to the AirCat site and compared and narrowed down to which have the PSA backer but when I search amazon for the same AIRCAT 6700-6-332-PSA sander and of course they all end up being Hook and Loop https://aircat.com/aircat/sanders/6700- ... alm-sander

What are my options for converting one of these from Hook and Loop to PSA or anyone aware of a PSA on Amazon?
Thanks
Lynn

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:32 am
You might look around for a universal conversion pad.
I found one on Ebay for my 5" wood RO sander.
It's a leather like disk that has velcro on one side and
a smooth one opposite for stick ons.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:36 pm
If Amazon don't have the one you want, buy it somewhere else.

You do know that that sander is only 2.5mm orbit, so nice for fine work but will be haevy going when it comes to the tough stuff.
Chris

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:46 pm
NFT5 wrote:If Amazon don't have the one you want, buy it somewhere else.

You do know that that sander is only 2.5mm orbit, so nice for fine work but will be haevy going when it comes to the tough stuff.

Yes I’ve learned a lot in the last couple days, for sure 2.5 is too tight , would take forever to sand anything, originally didn’t understand what the orbit referred too. Now I’m attempting to find a Psa type 6” with 3/16 orbit , vacuum would be nice but not necessary. Really I only have the vintage scooter to sand down to change the colour , would be nice to get some that’s not a air hog but no biggie if not . Probably try to find something more for a backyard diy’er rather than the more auto body type. Hard to buy on line , I’m sure they all would last a bit in a garage setting.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:54 pm
While I generally only buy top quality tools, with these things I've been buying the Supercheap variety (equivalent to your Harbour Freight quality). For about $50 the things go almost forever and only seem to die after extreme abuse, which they get plenty of in a shop. Then I just buy another one. Treat them as consumables.

The last one I killed only after dropping it and bending the main drive shaft. It was 5 or 6 years old and had been used almost daily, rarely oiled and stripped panels dry and been dunked in a bucket of water when doing wet sanding, regularly.

At home, with light use and a little care they'd last forever.

Those Aircat ones look pretty decent for the price.
Chris

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:50 pm
Ordered the Aircat 6310. Now onto doing some reading for doing some body work on the VESPA.
Thanks guys :allgood:

Return to Tools and Supplies