Critique My Shopping List - Everything to Complete Prep

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:00 pm
I'm getting ready to make my first large purchase for material / supplies for everything on the prep stage. For some background, it will be a bare metal paint on a Triumph TR6. It is getting glass blasted next Friday, so I need to be ready to go to Epoxy primer immediately when it returns. The car is fully disassembled, ie, bare tub, with loose fenders, doors, hood / trunk.

I travel during the week pretty much full time for work, so I don't want to have to run back and forth to the local painting shop, assuming they are even open on the weekends for consumables. I also want to make sure I have enough. I don't want to run out of a $10 item. I chose TP Tools, as they seem to have the widest variety of parts coverage, to avoid multiple orders from multiple suppliers. I'm open to another vendor that has a good web-site, and a wide selection. I haven't yet decided on a manufacturer for base / clear, and would source that locally in a factory non-metallic color.

Compressor is a 5 HP, 60 gallon IR, capable of producing 14 cfm. It will run through the typical filter, regulator, desiccant filter. I'll likely also use a desiccant whip for a belts / suspenders approach.

Can y'all scan the list in the photos below, and see if anything stands out as missing? Again, this is to get through the prep phase only. I'll need to order items for the BC / CC and cut / polish phase later.

Thanks!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:22 pm
everything looks good but here's my recommendations
1- mixing cups get a couple 32 and 64.
2- spray gun I can say as I have never used one.
3- no need for the DTM primer, if your going to put epoxy on the bare metal.
4- powdered guide coating works better, my experience is the spray stuff will clog your paper. especially if you want to guide coat a panel and sand it right away.
5- make sure the sand paper rolls are sticky back. 1-80grt, 2-180, 1-220, ? depends on how YOU do your sanding not everyone does it the same.
6- wax and grease remover i'm not sure a quart is going to be enough.
7-.you might get an assortment of wet/dry paper 800,600, 400, 320.
this is just something for you to go by.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:31 pm
If your going to apply the epoxy, have some small paint brushes on hand so you can paint areas that don't get sprayed. make sure the metal IS CLEAN and check the finish of the glass blast, you don't want it real smooth. I've seen glass blasted parts that look almost polished, to smooth for me? cure is to D/A lightly with some 80grt to 180.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:29 pm
Awesome feedback so far, I have some questions about the suggestions but will post when I hit the hotel tonight. I should have mentioned that I have access to a HobbyAir supplied air respirator. The dust masks are just for sanding purposes.

I also need to get a gun cleaning kit and some gun cleaner. The aerosol stuff looks convenient.

Thanks!

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:00 pm
wake74 wrote:Awesome feedback so far, I have some questions about the suggestions but will post when I hit the hotel tonight. I should have mentioned that I have access to a HobbyAir supplied air respirator. The dust masks are just for sanding purposes.

I also need to get a gun cleaning kit and some gun cleaner. The aerosol stuff looks convenient.

Thanks!

Do get a good 3M mask with replaceable filters and pre-filters for sanding. I use a 3M Rugged Comfort Quick Latch Respirator 6503QL - and love it.

The aerosol gun cleaners are nice, but they add up.

I am a weekender hack and I purchase acetone in 5 gallon pails and use a high pressure sprayer from FBS (P/N 50330), its over $150 but it was spending that much or more on the aerosol sprayers. It is a thumb pump sprayer that puts out a LOT of pressure. This is not the same sprayer that I use for applying W&G remover. If you cannot locate one, Coast Airbrush Supply in SoCal has them.

Get a pack of 100 or more for the paint strainers, I will use two at a time alot.

Personally I think the cup lids are a waste, I add hardener to most base coats (other than IC or clear base for candy bases) and don't want to risk old chunky paint.

For that price get Sem Products SEM Solve (SEM-38371)

How many paint sticks is $4 getting you?

I have one of those gun stands and don't really use it as I use the DeKups system. I do use the little wire 3-gun stand by DeVilbiss. 803616 Multi Spray Gun Holder

Is that Durablock kit the H&L or for sticky back papers? Make sure that it matches whatever paper you are using. I use the H&L and love the Duroblock kit, but also look around for pieces of foam, mixing sticks, cardboard pieces for those weird shaped areas.
Also get a nice long board.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:10 pm
badsix wrote:everything looks good but here's my recommendations
1- mixing cups get a couple 32 and 64.
Done

2- spray gun I can say as I have never used one.
3- no need for the DTM primer, if your going to put epoxy on the bare metal.
It looks like all of TP Tools primers are DTM, you have the option of Urethane or Epoxy

4- powdered guide coating works better, my experience is the spray stuff will clog your paper. especially if you want to guide coat a panel and sand it right away.
Good to know, I can find that on Amazon

5- make sure the sand paper rolls are sticky back. 1-80grt, 2-180, 1-220, ? depends on how YOU do your sanding not everyone does it the same.
The kit in my cart, is 80, 180, 220, 320, 400. Adhesive back, matches the durablock kit

6- wax and grease remover i'm not sure a quart is going to be enough.
I added a second quart

7-.you might get an assortment of wet/dry paper 800,600, 400, 320.
Okay will have to figure out what I need for wet

this is just something for you to go by.
Jay D.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:15 pm
Forget about acetone - it evaporates way too fast. You'll need 5l multi thinners for gun cleaning and general clean up. Works much better than gun wash.

Swap the FLG4 for an FLG5. Much better gun.

Paint mixing sticks. Go down to your nearest hardware store and buy some aluminium flat bar, 15-20mm wide x 1.5-2mm thick. Exact dimensions don't really matter. Cut into suitable lengths. Mix your paint and then clean. Reusable forever.
Chris

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:20 pm
NFT5 wrote:Forget about acetone - it evaporates way too fast. You'll need 5l multi thinners for gun cleaning and general clean up. Works much better than gun wash..

NFT5, why do you suggest to forget about using acetone? And what is 5l multi thinner?

As a rookie weekender, I have pretty much only purchased acetone at 5 gallons at time. It seems to clean the guns well and being that it evaporates fast is a plus for me. I also use it for other items. Just asking as I have spent a lot of money on my guns and I like to clean the snot out of them.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:09 am
Acetone is one of the primary ingredients in just about all thinners, but the other components are there for a purpose - usually to moderate the flash off when used in spraying.

Acetone, by itself is way too aggressive and volatile for most purposes, plus it's more expensive. Using it as a gun wash or a cleaner is wasteful and costly.

For acrylic (aka lacquer) thinners there are basically three grades:
1. Premium (e.g. PPG's Dulon AAA) which is the only thinner to use when spraying acrylics. It's longer flash off times encourage high gloss and enable flow-out which is why it's still used on many show vehicles for direct gloss or clearcoat applications. I'm paying around $200 for a 20 litre drum which makes it quite expensive. Worth it though.
2. What is now called multi-purpose or multi-midway. It's a bit faster than the premium grade and especially suits basecoats. I often use acrylic basecoats and this grade of thinner, sometimes mixed with some of the premium grade in hotter weather. This grade is a bit cheaper, typically $90-$120 for 20 litres although we're now getting some from India at half that price and no compromise on quality.
3. General Purpose, which is less aggressive, having less acetone, but still good for thinning primers and for cleaning up. Often used as gun wash since it doesn't attack alloy the way that some gun washes do. It's not much cheaper that the multi, so I don't bother carrying it.

Then there's gun wash. Varying qualities and usually at least part recycled. At $30/20l it's cheap and I do use it in the gun wash station, mixed with maybe 30% multi. This works really well cleaning guns and I don't feel quite so guilty as I spray it into the air or tip it into the slops drum. Still, to put things in perspective, it's no cheaper than petrol or diesel and more expensive than milk, so I don't want to waste it.
Chris

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:14 pm
I only use acetone to clean my guns, not as a reducer. Cheap at my local jobber.
Next

Return to Body and Paint