Dust in paint in car in shed

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:08 pm
No charcoal, just simple filter, its a positive pressure system.

Shows how bad my one at work is with the amount of dust i get in my paint jobs

Steve

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:51 am
So you probably don't want to be in there clearcoating while the family's sitting at the table having lunch.....

The ones that I've seen reviews on have a particulate filter for the paint dust, as well as a charcoal filter to take out the isocyanates. Can a be a bit of an issue, especially if you have people watching you through those nice big windows.
Chris

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:34 am
The one I have at work does not have a carbon filter either on the exit fan, they just have a two layer filter, was unaware you may need one, the exhaust from the one at work exits the building 9 metres up

My inlet filters at work need some looking into, gonna make a second inner wall, the current inlet filters to catch the bulk of the wood dust etc, then the inner filter wall for clean air.

That being said I like the positive pressure system that this inflatable one works on, my one at work is a draw fan (negative pressure) and it draws dust from any knock or cranny

Steve

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:31 am
Yep, have to have positive pressure in the inflatables - don't want it vacuum wrapping you to the job. :happy:

For non-inflatables, negative pressure. Have had the Worksafe people in a couple of times and that's the first thing they check. Told me that if mine was positive pressure they'd shut it down. Not sure about local rules where you are but the Australian Standard says negative pressure, so positive is illegal.... well here in the ACT anyway.

Negative or positive, both work but need attention to filters, as you are doing. I went over mine and sealed up doors to frames, floor seals and any other cracks that could let dust in. It will never be perfect but improved immediately and I haven't yet put the second layer inlet filters on, which should further improve dust capture. So, you're on the right track.
Chris

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:37 am
Hey NFT5

Can you detail your extraction / filtration setup a bit more? What extraction fan do you have from ebay / how is it plumbed in / what carbon - filters do you use to filter out iso's etc?

I'm looking to setup a spray booth in a dedicated shed for a home spray job and would like to see how others who have successful operating setups on a budget have done it.

Regards

Adam

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:10 am
Sorry Adam, I missed your post and didn't reply to your question.

booth.jpg

Here's a shot of the inside of the booth I had in the shop. The exhaust plenum has an opening 1800x600mm and extraction is by a 3 phase fan which moves around 13,000m3/hr. That's enough to get the required air movement in the booth of 0.5m/s. Inlets are at the other end and have an area about 20% more than the exhaust.

Filtration on the exhaust is by poly wadding that I buy from Lincraft. Cheap and works well if filter is changed weekly. After about 12 years of use the inside of the plenum had only a very small amount of dust in it. The flue goes around and then up though the second story to exit above the roof. Long way and I thought it might impact on airflow, but no issues.
Chris
Previous

Return to Body and Paint