Banned Paint Stripper

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:40 am
I haven't bought paint stripper in a couple of years and immediately noticed the reduced effectiveness of the stripper I bought over the weekend. I usually get the best Jasco brand I can find at Lowe's. I looked at the can and it said it was "Methylene Chloride Free". After some research I discovered that Methylene Chloride stripper has been banned to consumers although it is supposedly still available for commercial use.

What has everyone been using lately that works as good as the old stuff?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:17 am
There are still some Methylene Chloride based strippers available but the price has gone through the roof. $80 a quart, $256 a gallon.

I have gotten to the place where I media blast with crushed glass when I want to get to clean metal. Smaller parts go into the blast cabinet and are no problem. Larger items I cover the floor with plastic to catch the media, sweep it up then pour it back into the blaster pot through a screened funnel. It is a bit messy and tedious but so are paint strippers.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:14 am
Yeah, after a little more research I found that Tractor Supply still carries the good stuff. I figured it has to be a mistake but sure enough they had 6 cans. The dates were all pre-ban so I would assume once they are gone that's it. I figured they would have had to remove them from the shelves. 5 cans were dated in 2018 and one rusted and obviously old with old artwork was 2014!

I understand that it has a shelf life of three years and I think 3 months after opening. I bought two anyway!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:29 pm
The only way meth. chlor. goes "bad" is if you open the can and it has evaporated. Those expiration dates have more to do with the activators and co solvents evaporating out over time. The stuff will still work but just be a little slower.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:34 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:There are still some Methylene Chloride based strippers available but the price has gone through the roof. $80 a quart, $256 a gallon.

Speaking of prices, the Jasco brand at Lowe's was almost $50/gal. The Klean Strip at Tractor Supply was $25! Why pay twice as much for half the effectiveness? Duh!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:15 pm
I have a Tractor Supply near me, I will check to see what they have in stock.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:55 pm
My TSC is closing it out in store at $13.99 a gallon.....might want to call around at a few near you....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Tools and Supplies