Devilbiss CVI-620GW Anyone?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:29 pm
Can't seem to find any reviews or info on this particular gun. If you own one what's your experience with this spray gun?

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:25 am
It's an older design, kind of a predecessor to the Pro Lite but simpler design without the complex baffle system. Compact, almost midi size, but still performs good enough for a bigger job

Not a bad gun, would fit below the Pro Lite, in my opinion. Quite light too. Good fan at about 300mm which is not as wide as the latest technology guns but not an air hog, using about 9CFM for the #510 air cap which is the better option.

Looks like it might have been discontinued since no detail pages on the Devilbiss web site and no longer in their catalogue.

If you can pick one up cheap then grab it. Parts will be available for some years yet. Otherwise get a Pro Lite (Devilbiss or Tekna) which is a bit more versatile with different air caps available for different applications.
Chris

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:03 am
NFT5 wrote:It's an older design, kind of a predecessor to the Pro Lite but simpler design without the complex baffle system. Compact, almost midi size, but still performs good enough for a bigger job

Not a bad gun, would fit below the Pro Lite, in my opinion. Quite light too. Good fan at about 300mm which is not as wide as the latest technology guns but not an air hog, using about 9CFM for the #510 air cap which is the better option.

Looks like it might have been discontinued since no detail pages on the Devilbiss web site and no longer in their catalogue.

If you can pick one up cheap then grab it. Parts will be available for some years yet. Otherwise get a Pro Lite (Devilbiss or Tekna) which is a bit more versatile with different air caps available for different applications.

Thanks for the info! RIght now I'm debating between getting the CVI brand new or the Tekna Copper used same price.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:31 am
It all depends on what you're doing. For full resprays the Copper is a better choice but if you're doing smaller jobs then the CVi will fit the bill. Always test a second hand gun before you hand over the money, or have some way you can recover if it turns out to have a problem.

Either way, you'll need a decent compressor - something with the capacity to deliver about 13CFM. Yes, more than either gun needs, but you can't run these things at 100%. Make sure you get the 7E7 aircap on the Tekna Copper or the #510 on the CVi. Other caps will be HVLP and they'll use even more air. 1.3mm tip in both cases although the Copper will do a nice job with MS clear and a 1.2mm. Struggles a bit with HS clear.

I have a Tekna Copper and it's a nice gun, but the Pro Lites are just a whole level above.
Chris

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:29 pm
NFT5 wrote:It all depends on what you're doing. For full resprays the Copper is a better choice but if you're doing smaller jobs then the CVi will fit the bill. Always test a second hand gun before you hand over the money, or have some way you can recover if it turns out to have a problem.

Either way, you'll need a decent compressor - something with the capacity to deliver about 13CFM. Yes, more than either gun needs, but you can't run these things at 100%. Make sure you get the 7E7 aircap on the Tekna Copper or the #510 on the CVi. Other caps will be HVLP and they'll use even more air. 1.3mm tip in both cases although the Copper will do a nice job with MS clear and a 1.2mm. Struggles a bit with HS clear.

I have a Tekna Copper and it's a nice gun, but the Pro Lites are just a whole level above.

Thanks again Chris. I've decide to go with the DevilBiss CVI. As much as I want to get the Copper (better spray gun and newer) buying used is kinda scary given that this will be my first spray gun and I won't know how to inspect it.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:27 am
No worries.

The CVi is like the Thomas the Tank Engine of sprayguns. Punches well above its weight.
Chris

Return to Tools and Supplies