Interior resto on more modern cars..

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:55 am
I’m looking for direction on products to respray 80s/90s interior pieces. Plastic panels, carpet, leather, vinyl...everything I look at online is using the rattle can products from the local parts stores and I’m just not sure about the durability.

I’m not wanting step by step directions but maybe some key words to get me on the right track. Preferably something I can spray from a gun that will be oe match. Any tips? Are there company’s that sell a 2k or match paint by the pint/quart?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:48 pm
Just an opinion....but you are fighting somewhat of an uphill battle trying to come up with a "pro" system of doing this stuff. If it were me doing it and you want to come up with a system for the vinyl I would just go with the SEM aerosols, make sure the stuff is fully cured and consider doing a single coat of a good mat or flat urethane clear over it for durability and UV protection. Tamco has a good looking mat at their web site that I'm going to be doing my truck with, hopefully.
As for the carpet....well, carpet can be dyed but their are some "rules" to what can be dyed and how you do it. Simple aerosol stuff..... ahhh, not so good.....makes the fibers stiffen and become brittle. I have bought pro grade dyes for home carpet systems and that worked well with the fibers still feeling like original.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:55 pm
Axalta have one which is part of the Centari paint system. Uses the standard, common tinters and one of two different binders depending on the gloss level that you want.

You can use any formula in the L400 range (covers most vehicle colours) or just colour match yourself.

The system works well and gives a durable finish that you'd be hard pressed to tell from original.

Here's an example. Overhead console in my Pajero, came from the supplier in a horrible grey plastic.

Pic 017.jpg
Chris

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:49 pm
So now I am curious....are you guys doing any thing with the carpet recoloring?
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:17 am
NFTS you buy this from their website? I’ve never heard of the company.

Darrelk I’m curious too about carpet. Truth is if it comes down to it carpet can be replaced but I’m just looking at my options right now. I did see on another forum where a guy used a rattle can dye to restore his and in the pics it did look good, I just worry about the texture and long term durability.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:49 am
Billgluckman wrote:NFTS you buy this from their website? I’ve never heard of the company.

Axalta? Used to be Dupont.
Chris

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:44 pm
I had heard some good things about this system.....
https://www.detailking.com/store-home/a ... gI0W_D_BwE
It can't do drastic color changes but can renew the looks of old worn auto style carpet.

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic