Got keyed, messed up the DIY and need advice.

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:47 am
Someone keyed my GTI a while ago. I couldn't feel the scratch with my finger nail, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

2000/5000 wet sand, got a drill attachment from Amazon with four different pads, and used Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. Tried to go through all the steps, but I need some advice. I'm not sure which part of the process I completely **** up.

The scratch is also on the front door panel and the repair attempt is far less noticeable. As you can see though, the scratch on the rear door is deeper than I'd suspected. At this point I can live with the key scratch, I just want to get the coat looking even.

Any advice? I'm worried I burned through the clear coat, but am hoping I can redeem it.
Last edited by chodaranger on Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:26 am
Just stop...... got any professional detailing or paint correction guys around you? Looking at that pic. I think "you" doing more to it is going in a bad direction. I am not trying to pick on you but this could easily get much worse with the wrong advice.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:46 am
DarrelK wrote:Just stop...... got any professional detailing or paint correction guys around you? Looking at that pic. I think "you" doing more to it is going in a bad direction. I am not trying to pick on you but this could easily get much worse with the wrong advice.

Thank you.

No I appreciate the honesty. My attitude is always to try and do things myself. I like the learning process. Sometimes it works out well, and sometimes not.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:15 pm
Doing things yourself is alright but only if you get good advice to start with.
2000, 5000 grit coupled with a drill for buffing shows you didn't.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:32 pm
Yeah, the internet is kind of a blessing/curse thing. There is a lot of both good and bad information floating around out there. Videos aren't much better sometimes because the person is well, just making a video. Friends give advice freely but a lot of that is, "Well, l heard this guy did this, this, and this and got great results." Well, do some shopping around you....You might want to see if the PDR (that is paintless dent removal) are doing correction work as well. Around me they are mostly PDR and then offer other paint services.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail