Fuji Semi Pro 2? Recommendation Please

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:19 pm
DarrelK wrote:Yeah, I mean, there is just nothing written in rock when it comes to these systems. It's been 28 years ago I did my first full car paint job with a highly modified 2 stage system. Careful planning, shorter hoses, turbine on wheels, tweeked to the heavens coatings, and I would say I still got 90% of what I could do with a 5 stage now. And, that was using PPG 2021 clear which was about the highest solids clear you could get at the time. Just saw that car a year ago and that paint looks as good as the day we cut and buffed it.

OK, I was able to cancel the mini-mite 4. I won an ebay listing on a new Fuji Q5 for a couple hundred more but the only issue is that it has a T70 bottom feed gun. Fuji makes a 9960 U-tube adapter to convert the T70 into a top feed with a 400cc gravity cup. Is that sufficient size to paint a vehicle with and will that U-tube conversion kit work OK? I noticed a lot of people use the 3m PPS system. Since the Fuji guns pressurize the container, would a better option be to just keep the bottom feed setup but add the 3m PPS system? I noticed with the T70 the PPS kit hangs down off the bottom of the gun a ways. Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:03 am
Okay, let's sort out a few things....really nothing wrong with a cup/under quart size gun. Back in the good ol' days that is what all guns were. Gravity guns became more popular as we needed them to handle the thicker/higher solids stuff. The upside to a 5 stage turbine is that you are going have more cup pressure which helps with that anyway. Do you really need the PPS system at this point? I mean, are you going to be spraying a lot? You can get simple cheap drop in liners for that gun so the only thing you buy extra is some mixing cups. And, no 400 cc is just about 14 ounces which means a lot of trips to the mixing bench. The bare minimum cup size I've used with a turbine is a 20 oz. cup and that was only because I was wanting to keep the weight down for my right hand. And no, I am not in love with what they call the J tube conversion. The gun feels kind of funky and unbalanced and I don't think the tube allows for good flow with some of the flakes and pearls.
If you do go with the PPS, obviously there are a lot of options as seen on this page......
https://www.phelpsrefinishing.com/3m-pps
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:12 pm
DarrelK wrote:Okay, let's sort out a few things....

Wow, this is enlightening. I've been on here for hours reading about turbine systems. Unfortunately, I haven't quite come across the answer I'm looking for.
DarrelK, you really seem to be a wealth of information on this subject. I've used HVLP's for furniture and cabinets, but I'm just getting ready to spray my first car. I don't plan to ever do it again -- would the Semi-Pro 2 be adequate to spray a little midsize convertible with one-stage acrylic enamel? I really don't want to invest in a thousand-plus dollar machine that I'll.probably never use again. Could you recommend an entry-lever turbine system that will produce a decent auto finish? I see several aystems in the <$500 range but I just don't know if they'll work. Thanks so much for any help!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:41 am
Would yall suggest building a 6 stage setup over purchasing a 5 stage from Fuji or Sprayfine? My immediate uses are for cabinets and doors at my house, but future uses involve painting vehicles. Would I be better off with a 3 stage(for price) and upfitting a 6 stage turbine for automotive?

Thanks, Austin

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:10 am
Aha....now I know why you sent the PM to me....sorry, didn't see this. You should be good on this....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!
Previous

Return to Tools and Supplies