Rust touch ups

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:43 am
One of my cars is an old chev ute, 1950. Most people turn these into rat rods super rusty big motors etc.

Mine is white /original and pretty clean, I am not interested in it being paint perfect but minimized on the rust side.

The drivers door at the very bottom has a nickle sized section of paint missing and exposed rust.

I would like too ........

Sand blast the spot of rust clean
Epoxy prime the area
Smooth it off with some body putty
Prime and top coat just that area

My questions

Do i need to scuff sand the epoxy primer before applying the body putty or can i put it striaght over the epoxy primer in its drying window

What is a trick to getting primer up too but not above the existing base of the finish

Thanks

Steve

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:31 am
PICTURES
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:50 pm
"What is a trick to getting primer up too but not above the existing base of the finish"

Gun control.
The only time it really works.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:08 pm
My ute

7CB07AC2-D79B-49F6-AC01-0B93436F163A.jpeg

One of the small rust spots, its only small, but can nip it in the bud before it becomes a big job

C0EA1C99-49C7-4657-96F9-E61C38D0227F.jpeg

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:03 am
You've got Buckley's of spraying that and not having it stand out like dog's balls. No body line and right next to another panel so you'd see any colour variation.

I would brush touch it.

If the metal is showing and you can see rust then you need to get something small in there to clean it up. There are some Dremel attachments that are quite small or, at a pinch you could use a paper punch to put some holes in a sheet of sandpaper then glue one of the little discs to the rubber on the end of a pencil which could then be put in the chuck of a drill and, carefully, sand out the base of the chip. All depends on size - sometimes you just have to improvise but always remember that making the damage bigger is verboten, as is getting any paint outside of the chip.

One or two coats of epoxy, carefully extending to the edges of the chip but not filling it completely. Then a coat or three of topcoat, acrylic will be fine, unless you have some of whatever was used o paint that car. Overfill slightly then leave a day or two to dry and harden up. Then treat like a nib or even a run. Sand it back almost level and give it a polish.
Chris

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:14 am
Thanks chris,

I was going to approach it alittle like this

Mask area and lay a vinyl small sheet with circle in centre over rust,
Using small portable sand blaster, lightly blast surface clean
Leave vinyl mask on or even just a put new one over
Spray a coat of epoxy primer
Was thinking about doing small bog work but may just skip that now
Apply another vinyl mask slightly bigger than before which exposes some of the white.
Skip the prime stage as I have epoxy primer or should I prime before the larger vinyl mask
Lay about 6 coats of two pack white and allow to dry
Flat sand the raised area back.

Steve

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:08 am
I know my method works. Practiced it a couple of thousand times. I reckon with yours you'd just be making the repair bigger and bigger.
Chris

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:14 am
Please dont think I am against your method, I have full intention of doing it that way.

Steve

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:33 am
You need to check the adjustment of the door first, thats probably what caused it.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:48 pm
simso wrote:Please dont think I am against your method, I have full intention of doing it that way.

All good mate. If you can make it work then I'll have learned something new.

chevman wrote:You need to check the adjustment of the door first, thats probably what caused it.

Or stop kicking it. :knockout:
Chris

Return to Body and Paint