Paint Guns

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:29 pm
I know there are many paint gun snobs out there. But I,m just a new guy trying to learn
a new hobby. I can,t afford a $500 to a $1000 gun. If I were making a living like many are
I would invest in such a gun. I,m a $100 gun guy, & I have read alot on the net on which
guns to get for that price range. I ended up getting a Astro euro pro 103 HE. There was
more positive than negative comments. I have not had a chance to use it for this Midwest
storm has had us with out power & record cold. The good part is if it were not for Global
Warming it could be worst :rotfl: :rotfl: . Any way can any here give your opinions as to
the Astro guns compared to other $100 guns. Please not your high end guns, I know there
much better, but this is all I can afford right now.

Fly :pcorn:

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:40 pm
Wow, starting out calling people with quality spray guns, snobs out to work really well for you.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:34 pm
Well it happens all over the net. I have ask this same question concerning other brands
of cheaper guns & it always come back with buy the expensive gun you get what you pay
for. I have another post on another message board I posted to day about nozzle size &
happen to say my gun was a Astro & the nozzle size, & sure as rain the next post was your
nozzle size is find but your gun is not. I,m in to guns also & same thing you say what type
of pistol you have & there is always those that come on & bash the gun you own.

Hey I was just looking for help & not argue, for I,m a new guy trying to learn. I can leave just
as I came. Just thought this site had some good folks that would help a newbie & maybe my
open was a bit strong & did not mean it to be. Oh well thanks any way.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:26 am
Fly wrote:I ended up getting a Astro euro pro 103 HE. There was more positive than negative comments. .......... Any way can any here give your opinions as to the Astro guns compared to other $100 guns.

Hmmm, not sure if you're just looking for purchase justification or to start an argument.

Astro guns are made by Star in Taiwan. They are very reliable guns albeit with not such high performance as the higher priced guns. Ideal for industrial use. In the last few years they've developed a new range which includes the gun you've bought and they're pitching it at the mid-range level, with pricing in the $300-400AUD range. At this stage only the LVLP guns have been released here but when these RP guns, like yours, are released I'd be interested in trying one. On paper the specifications are not bad, slightly better than the V3 Pro 4000 that I have that does a truly lovely job with 2K DG and epoxy, but is woeful on urethane clear. Star guns in this range are known for a slightly smaller and lighter body, making big jobs a bit easier. The side mount fan control would drive me nuts.

I've owned lots of Star guns and only ever had to permanently shelve one, plus another that an employee actually cracked the body of - so no fault of the gun.

Will that gun spray as well as a Devilbiss FLG5, for about the same price? Probably not. Will it , with reasonable care, last forever? Quite possibly. Want to know for sure? Pop it in its carton and send it to me. I'll do a proper comparison against guns in the same price range as well as top shelf guns, then either send it back to you or make you an offer to keep it.
Chris

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:59 am
Thank you so much NFT5 for your response. No I want no argument from any & did not
mean for my opening post to come a cross as it did. Being new to this newbies ask many
ignorant questions. But in doing so we pay the price from many for doing so. Any way
enough for that. I,m a retired Tool & die maker with a nice shop next to my home. I have
built some custom motor cycles in the past & love doing things as that. But being a painter I,m
not. Being retired I,m on a limited budget & for now a gun I can lay down a decent finish.

Like many I have looked at many guns in that price range & settled on this one for now.
Later on I will most likely move up. I don't ever see me buying the higher range guns for
the limited use I will do. But from what I see with most you guys you have many spray guns
& most likely started as me & got better equipment as time went on. I must master this spray gun first. Maybe there is some one that has tried this gun. I have my hands tied with
the winter storm we have had & have not used it yet.

Fly :neutral:

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:56 pm
I cant stand paint gun snobs, especially the ones with 30 $800 dollar guns.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:40 pm
PainterDave wrote:I cant stand paint gun snobs, especially the ones with 30 $800 dollar guns.

Ha, ha. I take it you know someone like that.
1968 Coronet R/T

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:53 pm
Fly wrote:Thank you so much NFT5 for your response. No I want no argument from any & did not
mean for my opening post to come a cross as it did. Being new to this newbies ask many
ignorant questions. But in doing so we pay the price from many for doing so. Any way
enough for that. I,m a retired Tool & die maker with a nice shop next to my home. I have
built some custom motor cycles in the past & love doing things as that. But being a painter I,m
not. Being retired I,m on a limited budget & for now a gun I can lay down a decent finish.

Like many I have looked at many guns in that price range & settled on this one for now.
Later on I will most likely move up. I don't ever see me buying the higher range guns for
the limited use I will do. But from what I see with most you guys you have many spray guns
& most likely started as me & got better equipment as time went on. I must master this spray gun first. Maybe there is some one that has tried this gun. I have my hands tied with
the winter storm we have had & have not used it yet.

Fly :neutral:

I bought my IWATA LPH400 Silver Cap used off eBay for $200. Gave it a thorough cleaning and have been using it for years now.
I also have a DeVilbiss Tekna Copper gun with 1.3 and 1.4 tips, an Astro Pneumatic EVO4018 1.8 tip that I used for a primer gun for 10+ years, until they quit making seal kits for them.
1968 Coronet R/T

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:55 pm
The first questions should be what kind of air delivery and filtration system do you have?

Quality guns often use more CFM but even the cheap ones will require more than they advertise.

No point spending money on a spray gun that your compressor cannot handle.
1968 Coronet R/T

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:17 pm
My air compressor & tank are no problem as far as delivery & size. Now my filtration most
likely needs updating. I only have one trap & works well keeping water from my bead blaster & air tools . But I have read this paint deal is not forgiving. Please update me as
to what I need to do. :rolleyes:

Fly
Next

Return to Tools and Supplies