Proper way to repair hole & paint trims

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:37 pm
I was recently side swiped by another car's door near the back passenger wheel. There's a dent right above the wheel well that's been pushed in a fair amount, and i can't reach it to hammer the dent back out(see attached pic).
hole.jpeg
hole.jpeg (22.59 KiB) Viewed 2215 times

I have a can of Evercoat Rage & spot putty but after reading around this forum, I'm not sure if this is a good way to fill that hole. So what should i used to fill this hole or am I good with the Rage?

Also, i plan on painting the plastic trim pieces. I have some cans of SEM trim paint. From what i have learned here, the proper way of painting them, would be to clean with a scotch brite pad, apply adhesion promoter to the bare plastic, then 3 coats of paint. I want to keep the textured look as well as the satin finish of the paint. So I don't plan on clear coating. Is there anything else i can do to protect the paint from rock chips?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:14 pm
need better pictures !
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:52 am
Filling a hole that big is possible.... but is a bodgy repair and may fail. Double skins in that area mean that the only way to get the dent out is from the outside. Glue pulling won't work with something so sharp and deep, so using a stud welder or an easybeat is about the only solution, short of the old way of drilling a hole and pulling it with a screw on a slide hammer.

Plastic primer on very well cleaned and degreased plastic, followed by 2 coats of matt black will be fine. The more paint you put on there the more you fill in the texture and the more likely it will chip later. Frankly, in highly exposed areas like that I would be much more inclined to just replace them, rather than paint.
Chris

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:42 am
NFT5 wrote:Filling a hole that big is possible.... but is a bodgy repair and may fail. Double skins in that area mean that the only way to get the dent out is from the outside. Glue pulling won't work with something so sharp and deep, so using a stud welder or an easybeat is about the only solution, short of the old way of drilling a hole and pulling it with a screw on a slide hammer.

Plastic primer on very well cleaned and degreased plastic, followed by 2 coats of matt black will be fine. The more paint you put on there the more you fill in the texture and the more likely it will chip later. Frankly, in highly exposed areas like that I would be much more inclined to just replace them, rather than paint.

thanks for your input. I can try the stud welder.

As for the plastics. there isn't anything out there to protect the paint other than clear coat?

Return to Body and Paint